Re: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 438

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
      "Bear,"

      It sounds as if your method pulls the fly edge closer to the hammock body.  How is your ventilation, then?   In cold weather, I want to narrow the gap, but in warm weather, I use hiking poles to lift the fly outer sides.

      From: "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
      Subject: RE: Re:Tensioning Hennessy Flies

      Rosaleen:

      My solution is similar (I think) to yours. I added a mitten hook to the end
      of the elastic coming from the body. Then I just loop the body elastic
      between the tarp rings and the body rings enough times to make it tight.
      (This varies according to pitch and model.) Finally, I clip the body elastic
      to whichever ring it lands near.

      Bear

    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
        R:

        I never pull the elastic cords very tight. It's mostly to take a little slack out of the body side flap thingies. So I don't think it actually changes the ventilation dynamics of the setup much. It certainly wouldn't prevent you from using poles to raise the tarp.

        Alternately, you could tie a trucker's hitch or even a permanent loop into your tarp line and clip the elastic cords to that. I just wanted a way to "handle" the cords without having to put in another set of pegs. Oh, and it makes it easier to clip the hammock body over to one side of the tarp when you're cooking under the tarp.

        In fair weather I like to pull the tarp halfway back and watch the clouds and stars. I know someone posted a method of pulling the tarp back into position without having to get out of the hammock. Probably tie a line to the foot corner, loop it through the tree hugger, and lead it into the hammock. Then you'd just pull in on that line and secure it to the ridgeline.

        And when I have extra time and space, I take a bigger, substitute tarp, and pitch it on a separate, much higher, external ridge line. But the elastic cords still go to the tarp tie-outs or to the tarp lines.

        Bear
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
          It sounds as if your method pulls the fly edge closer to the hammock body.
          How is your ventilation, then? In cold weather, I want to narrow the gap,
          but in warm weather, I use hiking poles to lift the fly outer sides.

          ### See the second to last picture here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Black%20Diamond%20Contour%20Poles%20-%202003/Shane%20Steinkamp/Long%20Term%20Report/

          or

          http://snipurl.com/4v5p

          This is my BD Flicklock poles review, but it shows the use of the tie-out
          elastic tension the fly using trekking poles. You just adjust the length of
          the poles to raise or lower the flaps.

          Works nicely

          Shane Steinkamp
        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
            Bear-

            Ed's campouts for hammockers seem like a wonderful place for hammock fans to put faces with names while seeing each other's ideas up close.  Short of being able to actually get to those outings physically, it sure is great to "hang out" here and swap ideas.  (Thanks, Ed!)

            For your permanent loop in the side tie out alternative, I wonder if a "bowline" would do the trick?  How about another hair elastic tied on with a "lark's head?"

            For people who don't have a knot tying reference handy, here is a link to a decent one.  <http://www.realknots.com/index.htm>  It came up on a search for "knot tying."  There may be site with a video clip, as well.

            Thanks for sharing you methods.  I hope one day I can see them in person.

            Rosaleen

            Subject: Tensioning

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
              Rosaleen:

              Yes, I'd like to make one of the campouts some day. Alas, this year my Rita had a little medical crisis. We're all okay now, but it kind of drained the holiday days and funds at my disposal. Sigh. But weren't you in Sarasota recently? Let me know next time you're here, and we'll try to arrange an overnight if you like.

              As to the knot, I'm guessing a bowline might work, but would be a little too permanent -- that is it wouldn't allow fine-tuning the tension because it would be fixed in one spot along the tarp line. I'd go with the hair-elastic lark's head or prussic. Or even tie the body line onto the tarp line with a tautline hitch.

              The tautline is my all-time favorite hammocking knot.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
                Dave- I actually spent about 8 weeks total in Sarasota last year. My parents have been living there. Mom had cancer surgery last summer, so I stayed about 6 weeks and one of my sisers took over as I left. (It was really convenient that we both work in schools and this came up in the summer.) I spent the holiday break there, as well, helping get set up to move. If I get back before they leave the area, I'll give you a shout. Thanks.

                (BTW, they are on a waiting list for a retirement community nearly in Risk's back yard.)

                Cheers!

                Rosaleen

                > From: "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
                > Subject: RE: Re: Tensioning
                >
                > Rosaleen:
                >
                > Yes, I'd like to make one of the campouts some day. Alas, this year my Rita
                > had a little medical crisis. We're all okay now, but it kind of drained the
                > holiday days and funds at my disposal. Sigh. But weren't you in Sarasota
                > recently? Let me know next time you're here, and we'll try to arrange an
                > overnight if you like.
                >
                > As to the knot, I'm guessing a bowline might work, but would be a little too
                > permanent -- that is it wouldn't allow fine-tuning the tension because it
                > would be fixed in one spot along the tarp line. I'd go with the hair-elastic
                > lark's head or prussic. Or even tie the body line onto the
                > tarp line with a
                > tautline hitch.
                >
                > The tautline is my all-time favorite hammocking knot.
                >
                > Bear
              • David Chinell
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
                  Great! Hope we can make it happen. Where's Risk's back yard,
                  by the way? He's not in Florida, is he?

                  Bear

                  Dave- I actually spent about 8 weeks total in Sarasota last
                  year. My parents have been living there. Mom had cancer
                  surgery last summer, so I stayed about 6 weeks and one of my
                  sisers took over as I left. (It was really convenient that
                  we both work in schools and this came up in the summer.) I
                  spent the holiday break there, as well, helping get set up
                  to move. If I get back before they leave the area, I'll
                  give you a shout. Thanks.

                  (BTW, they are on a waiting list for a retirement community
                  nearly in Risk's back yard.)

                  Cheers!

                  Rosaleen

                  > From: "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
                  > Subject: RE: Re: Tensioning
                  >
                  > Rosaleen:
                  >
                  > Yes, I'd like to make one of the campouts some day. Alas,
                  this year my Rita
                  > had a little medical crisis. We're all okay now, but it
                  kind of drained the
                  > holiday days and funds at my disposal. Sigh. But weren't
                  you in Sarasota
                  > recently? Let me know next time you're here, and we'll try
                  to arrange an
                  > overnight if you like.
                  >
                  > As to the knot, I'm guessing a bowline might work, but
                  would be a little too
                  > permanent -- that is it wouldn't allow fine-tuning the
                  tension because it
                  > would be fixed in one spot along the tarp line. I'd go
                  with the hair-elastic
                  > lark's head or prussic. Or even tie the body line onto the
                  > tarp line with a
                  > tautline hitch.
                  >
                  > The tautline is my all-time favorite hammocking knot.
                  >
                  > Bear

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                  Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon
                  or Lexmark
                  Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
                  US & Canada.
                  http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/z1TolB/TM
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
                    David Chinell wrote:

                    >Great! Hope we can make it happen. Where's Risk's back yard,
                    >by the way? He's not in Florida, is he?
                    >
                    >Bear

                    Risk's back yard is in Dayton, OH.