MacCat tests:

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      The MacCat has been up in the backyard for 2 days now for
      observation. Granted it would be better to be on the AT but the
      hospital owns me this week so that is the best I can do for a bit.
      The last 28-32hours have been very rainy and accomapnied with strong
      wind. The tarp is 50feet from the hottub so I have had several
      chances to observe it a wind that struck it from the rear
      quarter...no flapping at all as expected and an interesting vibration
      in the ridgeline I suppose from where I tightened it to an obsessive
      amount.
      No surprise to find dry ground underneath either and well within the
      dripline.
      In the morning when I get out of my cage and begin my week off I will
      bring it down and put it on the digital scale.
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2004
        OK, gotcha beat <G> because I just got back from a CAMPGROUND, two nights,
        with howling gusty winds and not as much rain as I had hoped, but enough to
        test out MY MacCAT. Brian wanted me to take pics and I will send them to him
        tomorrow, but I hereby certify that this is one awesome, quiet, huge,
        rain-shedding tarp. THANKS BRIAN, and I did not have time to answer your
        private email before I left in a hurry Tuesday morning, but yes, I suggest
        you rig them same as HH tarps, including D-rings, or O rings. It was warm,
        only down into the 60s, so I rigged the thing about a foot above the HH,
        attached to the tree hugger straps but I needed more line to stake it out
        higher. I took the shock cord off the HH tarp, but I was on a hillside and
        would have been cooler if I had staked it higher. Slept great one night,
        hardly at all the next, due to the durn heat! If anybody else wants pics,
        email me privately please and I will send to you same time I send to Brian,
        tomorrow or over the weekend, after I finish unpacking. I am basically
        finished with using that HH tarp, will keep it for an emergency tarp or
        something. BRIAN YOU ROCK!
        Marsanne

        The MacCat has been up in the backyard for 2 days now for
        observation. Granted it would be better to be on the AT but the
        hospital owns me this week so that is the best I can do for a bit.
        The last 28-32hours have been very rainy and accomapnied with strong
        wind. The tarp is 50feet from the hottub so I have had several
        chances to observe it a wind that struck it from the rear
        quarter...no flapping at all as expected and an interesting vibration
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2004
          > OK, gotcha beat <G> because I just got back from a CAMPGROUND, two
          nights,
          > with howling gusty winds and not as much rain as I had hoped, but
          enough to
          > test out MY MacCAT. Brian wanted me to take pics and I will send
          them to him
          > tomorrow, but I hereby certify that this is one awesome, quiet,
          huge,
          > rain-shedding tarp. THANKS BRIAN
          > If anybody else wants pics,
          > email me privately please and I will send to you same time I send
          to Brian,
          > tomorrow or over the weekend, after I finish unpacking. I am
          basically
          > finished with using that HH tarp, will keep it for an emergency
          tarp or
          > something. BRIAN YOU ROCK!
          > Marsanne

          I'd love to see the pics too, and could you remind me, what
          dimension tarp did Brian make for you?

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • firefly
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2004
            I don't remember. Brian? I am sure he will know.
            Marsanne