Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Tensioning Hennessy Flies

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      On Tuesday, March 2, 2004, at 07:05 AM, rosaleen43@... wrote:

      > Here is my quick and easy "fix."  Take the nylon line off the side tie
      > outs of the fly.  Then tie the elastic cord from the hammock body side
      > pull out to the ring or glove hook on each side of the fly.  One stake
      > or tie out point can take care of each side.  Use a "taut line hitch"
      > to attach the elastic cord to the fly.  The hitch will fit the
      > stretched cord differently from the relaxed cord, so you may want to
      > stretch the cord a bit as you tie it and put an extra loop in the
      > hitch so it doesn't come undone under stress.  I have been using two
      > loops inside and two outside of the moving end around the standing
      > rope.  (Marsanne, send me your address and I'll send you a picture.  I
      > know you need more knot training.  I'd try to E-mail pics if I were
      > more techno-geek literate.)

      She's not the only one. I'm not sure what the whole thing looks like,
      let along the knots.

      -amy
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        Rosaleen:

        My solution is similar (I think) to yours. I added a mitten hook to the end of the elastic coming from the body. Then I just loop the body elastic between the tarp rings and the body rings enough times to make it tight. (This varies according to pitch and model.) Finally, I clip the body elastic to whichever ring it lands near.

        Bear
      • rosaleen43@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
          IAmy-

          Hubby is going out of town for a week.  After he gets back and we can dig the camera out of his "stuff,"  I'll post pictures, if people want them.

          Meanwhile, the idea is to take off the fly tie out lines.  Take the free end of the hammock body elastic ties and tie them to the fly tie out rings on the matching sides.  I prefer the sliding taut line hitch so that I can adjust the length of the line, but you could just locate your ground stakes to optimize tension.

          Rosaleen

          From: Amy <askowronek@...>
          Subject: Re: Re:Tensioning Hennessy Flies