RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: more on the McCat Tarp

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      Shane,
      I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's
      really thin, and colored. Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
      cannot help myself, LOL!). Is this the same stuff?
      Marsanne
      (who always intends puns)

      . Marine
      braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
      Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
      of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
      I will be using yet.

      HTH,

      Shane "Mirage"...

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        > Shane,
        > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
        Depot. It's
        > really thin, and colored.

        Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
        snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

        > Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
        > cannot help myself, LOL!).

        It is small and thin and not easy to use with gloves if you need
        them (cold weather camping). I would recommend leaving the lines
        tied to the ridge tie-outs and only tie the knots needed on the tree
        or other anchor point, or use those little plastic or aluminum "do-
        hickies" that allow for slide tensioning.

        As for anchor point, consider tying to the tree huggers where the
        hammock is tied off so you don't risk scaring the tree. This point
        will not move significantly or at all when the load of your body is
        applied to the hammock, and so unlike the HH prussik knot tie-offs,
        will not cause sag in the tarp when you are in it.

        Also, to be fair to HH users and Tom himself, you will notice less
        of the sagging tarp problem the farther up the hammock line your
        tarp is connected. That is to say, if your tarp is connected to the
        hammock lines closer to the hammock body, than the tree, you will
        notice a more prominate sag in the tarp when you get in the hammock
        than if your tarp is connected closer to the tree.

        This is something you have to play with alot to get an understandin
        of, and weather conditions may dictate position on the rope (windy
        rainy, you usually tie off the side tie outs first, getting the tarp
        as close to the netting as possible, then tighten up the prussik
        knots last, taking up any remaining slack. This results in the
        prussik knots being much closer to the hammock body).

        Finally, all this will depend on the actual tarp dimensions you are
        using. Many of us have replaced the stock tarp that cam with our
        HH, some of use have made or bought our own in a variety of shapes
        and dimensions, all of which will make your set up unique.

        Just be sure to test, test, test to know how yours will behave.

        > Is this the same stuff?

        Nope.

        > Marsanne

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...>
          > wrote:
          > > Shane,
          > > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
          > Depot. It's
          > > really thin, and colored.
          >
          > Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
          > snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

          BTW, there was a thread recently on BPL Yahoo! group that discussed
          line used to hang bear bags. Some references to line types were in
          the thread.

          Shane "Mirage"...