[Hammock Camping] Re: more on the McCat Tarp

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      > What method/knots/type of line were you thinking of using for the
      ridgeline?
      > My knot skills are not the best. <G>
      > Marsanne

      Marsanne,

      Although I learned many knots in Merchant Marine school and Boy
      Scouts, my standard, most often used knots are:

      1. Bowline - typically for tying off the line to a loop, or grommet,
      ot to make a bight (loop) at the end of a line.
      2. Sliding clove hitch - works great for quick tie-offs and for
      needing to freaquently adjust tension. Doesn't work great on slick
      lines though.
      3. Truckers hitch - awsome knot to put lots of tension on a line
      after it is wrapped around a tree or pole.
      4. Figure eight - another quick and easy way to put a bight (loop)
      at the end of a line, but not as easy to untie after loading.

      So I will tie a bowline on each loop on either end of the ridge line
      (Brians tarps are reinforced with gross grain along the lenght of
      the ridge line) and the use a clove hitch or truckers hitch on the
      tree, pole or other achor point.

      As for line, not sure yet. I have ~50' of "trip tease" from Kelty
      (I think), but will probably reserve that for stakes. Marine
      braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
      Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
      of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
      I will be using yet.

      HTH,

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        Shane,
        I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's
        really thin, and colored. Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
        cannot help myself, LOL!). Is this the same stuff?
        Marsanne
        (who always intends puns)

        . Marine
        braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
        Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
        of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
        I will be using yet.

        HTH,

        Shane "Mirage"...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          > Shane,
          > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
          Depot. It's
          > really thin, and colored.

          Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
          snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

          > Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
          > cannot help myself, LOL!).

          It is small and thin and not easy to use with gloves if you need
          them (cold weather camping). I would recommend leaving the lines
          tied to the ridge tie-outs and only tie the knots needed on the tree
          or other anchor point, or use those little plastic or aluminum "do-
          hickies" that allow for slide tensioning.

          As for anchor point, consider tying to the tree huggers where the
          hammock is tied off so you don't risk scaring the tree. This point
          will not move significantly or at all when the load of your body is
          applied to the hammock, and so unlike the HH prussik knot tie-offs,
          will not cause sag in the tarp when you are in it.

          Also, to be fair to HH users and Tom himself, you will notice less
          of the sagging tarp problem the farther up the hammock line your
          tarp is connected. That is to say, if your tarp is connected to the
          hammock lines closer to the hammock body, than the tree, you will
          notice a more prominate sag in the tarp when you get in the hammock
          than if your tarp is connected closer to the tree.

          This is something you have to play with alot to get an understandin
          of, and weather conditions may dictate position on the rope (windy
          rainy, you usually tie off the side tie outs first, getting the tarp
          as close to the netting as possible, then tighten up the prussik
          knots last, taking up any remaining slack. This results in the
          prussik knots being much closer to the hammock body).

          Finally, all this will depend on the actual tarp dimensions you are
          using. Many of us have replaced the stock tarp that cam with our
          HH, some of use have made or bought our own in a variety of shapes
          and dimensions, all of which will make your set up unique.

          Just be sure to test, test, test to know how yours will behave.

          > Is this the same stuff?

          Nope.

          > Marsanne

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...>
            > wrote:
            > > Shane,
            > > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
            > Depot. It's
            > > really thin, and colored.
            >
            > Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
            > snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

            BTW, there was a thread recently on BPL Yahoo! group that discussed
            line used to hang bear bags. Some references to line types were in
            the thread.

            Shane "Mirage"...