RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: more on the McCat Tarp

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 10:30 AM
      Shane "Mirage",
      I have similar needs, being in southern Louisiana. I am headed up to the
      central part of the state tomorrow for a paid speaking engagement, and,
      unless there is an absolute monsoon underway, plan to go, after that, to
      wonderful Forest Service campground with hiking trails and a lake. I plan
      to also attach the tarp to a separate ridgeline, above the HH a few inches.
      What method/knots/type of line were you thinking of using for the ridgeline?
      My knot skills are not the best. <G>
      Marsanne (who also wants to adopt Brian because he will be the Donald Trump
      of outdoor gear and I would like a rich son)

      My goal it to have a tarp that will provide significant coverage for
      the rainy and windy conditions I am blessed with in the beautiful
      PNW. I do NOT plan, at this time, to attach it to the Hammock hang
      lines, due to the issue of losing tention when I enter the hammock,
      so I will have in independant ridgeline.

      Brian and I are talking right now about an 11'x9.3', hex dimension,
      straight cut ridgeline. I have an outstanding question on the
      additional cost if he were to cut my ridgeline with a catenary
      curve, and depending on that cost estimate, I will make my purchase
      determination.

      Brian has been exceptional to work with, and extremely patient with
      my questions (badgering is what it probably sounds like to him ;).

      From what I hear from others, his craftsmanship and attention to
      detail is ecellent as well.
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1 10:51 AM
        > What method/knots/type of line were you thinking of using for the
        ridgeline?
        > My knot skills are not the best. <G>
        > Marsanne

        Marsanne,

        Although I learned many knots in Merchant Marine school and Boy
        Scouts, my standard, most often used knots are:

        1. Bowline - typically for tying off the line to a loop, or grommet,
        ot to make a bight (loop) at the end of a line.
        2. Sliding clove hitch - works great for quick tie-offs and for
        needing to freaquently adjust tension. Doesn't work great on slick
        lines though.
        3. Truckers hitch - awsome knot to put lots of tension on a line
        after it is wrapped around a tree or pole.
        4. Figure eight - another quick and easy way to put a bight (loop)
        at the end of a line, but not as easy to untie after loading.

        So I will tie a bowline on each loop on either end of the ridge line
        (Brians tarps are reinforced with gross grain along the lenght of
        the ridge line) and the use a clove hitch or truckers hitch on the
        tree, pole or other achor point.

        As for line, not sure yet. I have ~50' of "trip tease" from Kelty
        (I think), but will probably reserve that for stakes. Marine
        braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
        Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
        of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
        I will be using yet.

        HTH,

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1 11:16 AM
          Shane,
          I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's
          really thin, and colored. Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
          cannot help myself, LOL!). Is this the same stuff?
          Marsanne
          (who always intends puns)

          . Marine
          braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
          Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
          of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
          I will be using yet.

          HTH,

          Shane "Mirage"...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1 11:57 AM
            > Shane,
            > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
            Depot. It's
            > really thin, and colored.

            Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
            snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

            > Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
            > cannot help myself, LOL!).

            It is small and thin and not easy to use with gloves if you need
            them (cold weather camping). I would recommend leaving the lines
            tied to the ridge tie-outs and only tie the knots needed on the tree
            or other anchor point, or use those little plastic or aluminum "do-
            hickies" that allow for slide tensioning.

            As for anchor point, consider tying to the tree huggers where the
            hammock is tied off so you don't risk scaring the tree. This point
            will not move significantly or at all when the load of your body is
            applied to the hammock, and so unlike the HH prussik knot tie-offs,
            will not cause sag in the tarp when you are in it.

            Also, to be fair to HH users and Tom himself, you will notice less
            of the sagging tarp problem the farther up the hammock line your
            tarp is connected. That is to say, if your tarp is connected to the
            hammock lines closer to the hammock body, than the tree, you will
            notice a more prominate sag in the tarp when you get in the hammock
            than if your tarp is connected closer to the tree.

            This is something you have to play with alot to get an understandin
            of, and weather conditions may dictate position on the rope (windy
            rainy, you usually tie off the side tie outs first, getting the tarp
            as close to the netting as possible, then tighten up the prussik
            knots last, taking up any remaining slack. This results in the
            prussik knots being much closer to the hammock body).

            Finally, all this will depend on the actual tarp dimensions you are
            using. Many of us have replaced the stock tarp that cam with our
            HH, some of use have made or bought our own in a variety of shapes
            and dimensions, all of which will make your set up unique.

            Just be sure to test, test, test to know how yours will behave.

            > Is this the same stuff?

            Nope.

            > Marsanne

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1 1:30 PM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...>
              > wrote:
              > > Shane,
              > > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
              > Depot. It's
              > > really thin, and colored.
              >
              > Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
              > snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

              BTW, there was a thread recently on BPL Yahoo! group that discussed
              line used to hang bear bags. Some references to line types were in
              the thread.

              Shane "Mirage"...