more on the McCat Tarp

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 29, 2004
      Woke up this afternoon and with sleep in my eyes headed to the
      backyard to string up the McCat....again loving the detail Brian has
      placed in his work..the tie-outs are wonderful and stay open for easy
      stringing, the ridgeline ties are reinforced in a smart way.....so
      after staking it out and while doing so noticing how the cat-cut
      tensions then entire design I stood back and looked at the ridgeline.
      I tensioned it very tightly and low and behold there is a slight
      catenation in its overall length....so intentional or not (only Brian
      can answer this), just my particular unit, or a side effect of the
      cat-cuts on the sides, the ridgeline does actually curve-even with
      all that tension on it.
      OK, Brian I promise not to blow any more smoke your way concerning
      your work just with it had been here early enough for the Everglades
      trip :( .
      MedicineMan
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040" <simva4040@y...>
        wrote:
        > Woke up this afternoon and with sleep in my eyes headed to the
        > backyard to string up the McCat....again loving the detail Brian
        has
        > placed in his work..the tie-outs are wonderful and stay open for
        easy
        > stringing, the ridgeline ties are reinforced in a smart way.....so
        > after staking it out and while doing so noticing how the cat-cut
        > tensions then entire design I stood back and looked at the
        ridgeline.
        > I tensioned it very tightly and low and behold there is a slight
        > catenation in its overall length....so intentional or not (only
        Brian
        > can answer this), just my particular unit, or a side effect of the
        > cat-cuts on the sides, the ridgeline does actually curve-even with
        > all that tension on it.
        > OK, Brian I promise not to blow any more smoke your way concerning
        > your work just with it had been here early enough for the
        Everglades
        > trip :( .
        > MedicineMan

        Hi all...

        I am the Shane that had sent Medicine Man an email directly asking
        some questions about the Tarp he had received from Brian. I have
        also been exchanging email with Brian on designing a Tarp to meet my
        needs.

        I am "this" close to ordering one, but now hesitate only on the
        issue of the Catenary cut ridge line.

        As Medicine Man points out, whether by design or destiny, his
        instance does exhibit slight catenary curvature on the ridgeline
        when under tension.

        My Question to all is this: How much does the Catenary ridge line
        matter?

        I am certainly mesmerized by the purported "one with the wind"
        properties of a true catenary cut tarp like the Heptawing.

        Yet clearly from others experience, maybe simply having catenary cut
        side lines is sufficeint to retain tension when wet and windy.

        My goal it to have a tarp that will provide significant coverage for
        the rainy and windy conditions I am blessed with in the beautiful
        PNW. I do NOT plan, at this time, to attach it to the Hammock hang
        lines, due to the issue of losing tention when I enter the hammock,
        so I will have in independant ridgeline.

        Brian and I are talking right now about an 11'x9.3', hex dimension,
        straight cut ridgeline. I have an outstanding question on the
        additional cost if he were to cut my ridgeline with a catenary
        curve, and depending on that cost estimate, I will make my purchase
        determination.

        Brian has been exceptional to work with, and extremely patient with
        my questions (badgering is what it probably sounds like to him ;).

        From what I hear from others, his craftsmanship and attention to
        detail is ecellent as well.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          Shane "Mirage",
          I have similar needs, being in southern Louisiana. I am headed up to the
          central part of the state tomorrow for a paid speaking engagement, and,
          unless there is an absolute monsoon underway, plan to go, after that, to
          wonderful Forest Service campground with hiking trails and a lake. I plan
          to also attach the tarp to a separate ridgeline, above the HH a few inches.
          What method/knots/type of line were you thinking of using for the ridgeline?
          My knot skills are not the best. <G>
          Marsanne (who also wants to adopt Brian because he will be the Donald Trump
          of outdoor gear and I would like a rich son)

          My goal it to have a tarp that will provide significant coverage for
          the rainy and windy conditions I am blessed with in the beautiful
          PNW. I do NOT plan, at this time, to attach it to the Hammock hang
          lines, due to the issue of losing tention when I enter the hammock,
          so I will have in independant ridgeline.

          Brian and I are talking right now about an 11'x9.3', hex dimension,
          straight cut ridgeline. I have an outstanding question on the
          additional cost if he were to cut my ridgeline with a catenary
          curve, and depending on that cost estimate, I will make my purchase
          determination.

          Brian has been exceptional to work with, and extremely patient with
          my questions (badgering is what it probably sounds like to him ;).

          From what I hear from others, his craftsmanship and attention to
          detail is ecellent as well.
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
            > What method/knots/type of line were you thinking of using for the
            ridgeline?
            > My knot skills are not the best. <G>
            > Marsanne

            Marsanne,

            Although I learned many knots in Merchant Marine school and Boy
            Scouts, my standard, most often used knots are:

            1. Bowline - typically for tying off the line to a loop, or grommet,
            ot to make a bight (loop) at the end of a line.
            2. Sliding clove hitch - works great for quick tie-offs and for
            needing to freaquently adjust tension. Doesn't work great on slick
            lines though.
            3. Truckers hitch - awsome knot to put lots of tension on a line
            after it is wrapped around a tree or pole.
            4. Figure eight - another quick and easy way to put a bight (loop)
            at the end of a line, but not as easy to untie after loading.

            So I will tie a bowline on each loop on either end of the ridge line
            (Brians tarps are reinforced with gross grain along the lenght of
            the ridge line) and the use a clove hitch or truckers hitch on the
            tree, pole or other achor point.

            As for line, not sure yet. I have ~50' of "trip tease" from Kelty
            (I think), but will probably reserve that for stakes. Marine
            braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
            Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
            of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
            I will be using yet.

            HTH,

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • firefly
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
              Shane,
              I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's
              really thin, and colored. Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
              cannot help myself, LOL!). Is this the same stuff?
              Marsanne
              (who always intends puns)

              . Marine
              braided masons line is highly recommend due to low/no streach.
              Should be true of any polypropolyne line. I always have a variety
              of rope and line haning around (pun intended), so I'm not sure what
              I will be using yet.

              HTH,

              Shane "Mirage"...

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
                > Shane,
                > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
                Depot. It's
                > really thin, and colored.

                Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
                snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

                > Does not look like would be easy for knots (I
                > cannot help myself, LOL!).

                It is small and thin and not easy to use with gloves if you need
                them (cold weather camping). I would recommend leaving the lines
                tied to the ridge tie-outs and only tie the knots needed on the tree
                or other anchor point, or use those little plastic or aluminum "do-
                hickies" that allow for slide tensioning.

                As for anchor point, consider tying to the tree huggers where the
                hammock is tied off so you don't risk scaring the tree. This point
                will not move significantly or at all when the load of your body is
                applied to the hammock, and so unlike the HH prussik knot tie-offs,
                will not cause sag in the tarp when you are in it.

                Also, to be fair to HH users and Tom himself, you will notice less
                of the sagging tarp problem the farther up the hammock line your
                tarp is connected. That is to say, if your tarp is connected to the
                hammock lines closer to the hammock body, than the tree, you will
                notice a more prominate sag in the tarp when you get in the hammock
                than if your tarp is connected closer to the tree.

                This is something you have to play with alot to get an understandin
                of, and weather conditions may dictate position on the rope (windy
                rainy, you usually tie off the side tie outs first, getting the tarp
                as close to the netting as possible, then tighten up the prussik
                knots last, taking up any remaining slack. This results in the
                prussik knots being much closer to the hammock body).

                Finally, all this will depend on the actual tarp dimensions you are
                using. Many of us have replaced the stock tarp that cam with our
                HH, some of use have made or bought our own in a variety of shapes
                and dimensions, all of which will make your set up unique.

                Just be sure to test, test, test to know how yours will behave.

                > Is this the same stuff?

                Nope.

                > Marsanne

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Shane,
                  > > I have seen stuff described as "mason's line" at Lowe's and Home
                  > Depot. It's
                  > > really thin, and colored.
                  >
                  > Not the same stuff, usually... These are normally nylon and will
                  > snag easily and stretch too much to be any use.

                  BTW, there was a thread recently on BPL Yahoo! group that discussed
                  line used to hang bear bags. Some references to line types were in
                  the thread.

                  Shane "Mirage"...