Subject: Re: Shane- the MacCat-Catenary Cut?

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
      Bill,

      Isn't the MacCat a smaller, HH sized version of the heptawing? That was my understanding.

      I am looking to upgrade my HH UL Backpacker's stock fly to one that doesn't flap unmercifully in light wind and keep me awake. An absolutely great hammock, but with a mediocre fly.

      Getting in slackens the fly, and I don't enjoy super-taut bungee reinforced guy lines, so I've been using a second, independent overhead ridge line for the fly, which helps. But I'd like a design that is inherently more wind resistant. I'll stay with the second ridge line, that's a winner.

      I'd appreciate your comments based on your heptawing experience. (And anyone that's using Brian's fly to replace the HH stock fly.)

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hi Todd, I think, but may be wrong, that the tarp
        (MacCat) is a rectangular shaped tarp that may have a
        curve in the ridge-line. There was a picture of it
        someplace. If you look in the Photo Section of this
        group I have 3 pictures of my Speer Silk Hammock
        hanging under my Moss Heptawing. Look for album named
        (A Silk H...). I haven't had a problem with the tarp
        flapping. You have 3 tie-down points on each side and
        the 2 on each end of the ridge-line (all tie lines are
        adjustable using a little slide thing). The pictures
        show me using 2 poles to lift 2 points of the tarp to
        get a nice breeze on me. If you adjust it right the
        wind rolls right off the tarp, you might say this tarp
        design is "One With the Wind." However, I will not
        try and tell you that it will never flap, when it
        flaps you just need to adjust it. I have used the tarp
        in some very heavy rain and a lot of wind. I was able
        to adjust the guy-lines and stay dry as I watched the
        water flow under me one day in a very heavy storm. I
        was dry and happy in my Hammock.

        In todays world I think the biggest reason more people
        didn't go for this tarp is the weight. 10 or 12 years
        ago this tarp replaced a 4 or 5 pound plus tent. As a
        23oz substitute for the tent I was happy camper.
        Today we think of a tarp being 6 to 8 oz. With that
        idea how many people would go for something that
        weights 23oz. Bill

        --- ptoddf@... wrote:
        > Bill,
        >
        > Isn't the MacCat a smaller, HH sized version of the
        > heptawing? That was my
        > understanding.
        >
        > I am looking to upgrade my HH UL Backpacker's stock
        > fly to one that doesn't
        > flap unmercifully in light wind and keep me awake.
        > An absolutely great hammock,
        > but with a mediocre fly.
        >
        > Getting in slackens the fly, and I don't enjoy
        > super-taut bungee reinforced
        > guy lines, so I've been using a second, independent
        > overhead ridge line for the
        > fly, which helps. But I'd like a design that is
        > inherently more wind
        > resistant. I'll stay with the second ridge line,
        > that's a winner.
        >
        > I'd appreciate your comments based on your heptawing
        > experience. (And anyone
        > that's using Brian's fly to replace the HH stock
        > fly.)
        >
        > Best, Todd in Tarzana.

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
          Group,
          This is my first report on the replacement tarp our young Brian McMillian
          made for me, to replace the A-Sym that came with my HH. I wanted a bigger
          one, in silnylon. I was hoping to get to the woods this weekend to try it
          out, but have been working on a freelance gig. Today I strung it up on a
          line in the back yard (no trees there to hang HH). This is a very well made
          tarp, and I am sure it will be much better than the A-sym that came with my
          HH. It's the curved (cantenary or whatever,) cut, and it is very windy
          today, and once I had it staked down over the line the wind just went right
          around it, and under it. I am looking forward to testing it later this week
          in a state park. I am sure it will be great, and I thank Brian for his
          excellent workmanship and dependable service. He can give you the details,
          show pics, etc.
          Marsanne
        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi, todd-

            You and I haven't corresponded for a while.  I hope all is well with you and yours.  I'm glad to see our paths continue to cross.

            I have a suggestion for reducing hammock fly flap.  Try adding some weight to the side tie outs.  Tom suggested a pair of small silnylon bags, weighted with a few stones found around the campsite.  Tie or clip one of each to the side tie out rings of glove hooks.  I would be more likely to use a nylon mesh bag (home made).  The mesh wouldn't hold any rain water.  I think some have tried tying water bottles or some such to the sides.  The mesh bags seem easiest to me.

            Rosaleen