RE: Contacting Big Agnes and Tom Hennessey

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
      Isn't that amazing? I had the opposite experience. I got quick responses and detailed ones to both emails and phone calls to Big Agnes.

      First year they were out, I told Bill I wasn't sure, and asked him if he could loan me a bag to test myself. To my surprise, he said sure, and followed through. I was just a voice on the phone to him, not an established customer. He paid for shipping, with no deposit, no nothing. He included an air pad, which I hadn't asked for.

      Of course, I returned everything to him in perfect condition. I made a point of showing it to several backpackers while I had it. I bought a Horsethief and still use it. It might become a hammock top quilt soon. I think there are 2 or 3 people at BA, or that many founded the company anyway, which is very small. Maybe they were at a trade show or on a backback?

      Similarly, others have complained about Tom Hennessey not being responsive. Again, I had the exact opposite experience. I met him in person at the PCT kick off event last year, and bought a hammock from him. Real informative guy. He answered subsequent emails immediately. I understand he owns property in New Zealand now. Maybe he was Down Under recently?

      Please cut these innovative, cottage-industry guys some slack. None of them are getting rich at this. We're lucky they're there at all.
      I'm including Scott (WhiteKnight) in this too. I'm waiting for my quilt along with everyone else. Glad he survived that killer virus. Now if he would
      just learn to type better....

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004

        I have heard Tom H is a really nice guy, too.  However, I think it is in the interest of all of us in business to communicate with our customers. His unresponsiveness hurts him, not me. I can take my money elsewhere. As for “cutting him some slack”, PUH-LEEZE! I am always bragging about HH.  When I contrast his communication with that of someone like Carol Wellman, of Dancing Light Gear, there is no comparison. Or, with our own Ed Speer. And, White Knight, I don’t mean to be critical, but I would agree about the spelling. Any decent computer has spell checking tools. I was an English major and still learn things when I run mine. It will help you with your business, too, because you will have a better image. Hope you are feeling better!

        Marsanne

      • rosaleen43@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
          Marsanne-

          "I will send you a private Post Scirpt."  Please read it before deleting.

          Tom went to New Zealand sometime around our Thanksgiving, maybe before.  He bought property in New Zealand and was fixing up some building to be habitable as a "cottage" before his wife joined him near or after Christmas.

          Like many others in cottage industries, Tom has had multiple enterprises running simultaneously.  And, like many other, well, geniuses, he tends to hyper focus on what is "in  his face" while other things end up falling by the wayside.  This is a luxury probably more often enjoyed by men than women.  {I'm not being sarcastic or wise, I actually believe this.  In our evolutionary processes, it made sense for men, the hunters, to pursue game to the finish or until they, themselves, dropped.  If women focused on some project until it was totally done to perfection, ignoring all else, most of the babies would have died of starvation or crawled off to drown or some other doom.  There are some biological differences between the sexes that make women's bodies better for surviving cold while suiting men for hunting in the cold.  Bizarre, yes, but apparently true.  End of sidebar rant.. 8-) }

          I heard from Ann (from NZ) and it appears Tom did some more experimenting with under hammock insulation and we may be hearing about it soon.  They don't actually clear their plans with me.  Once or twice a year I will get their permission to buy a batch of hammocks and run promotion somewhere, like "The Gathering" or one of the "Rucks."  While we are working out details for these promos, I MIGHT get some insider info.  I really don't know when they will return to Canada, but I would guess within a month, or six weeks, anticipating Tom will want to get to Trail Days.

          I know it is disappointing to have E-mails or questions unanswered.  It could be many things, including Ann passed a message on to Tom and he got busy and forgot.  Sometimes they have problems with the underwater cable that carries electronic media to the island on which they live.  I can't tell you what happened.  I've had messages unanswered, though not many.  Some of Tom's replies have gotten lost.  The site gives an "800" number, when the Hennessys are back, I suggest you try calling.  Maybe you can set a time that might be good to call and talk specifically to Tom or Ann.

          Good Luck!

          Rosaleen