Shane- the MacCat

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2004
      Hmmmm, never thought about a catenary cut ridgeline??? I will study
      catenary cuts tonight when I can..but by definition:

      SYLLABICATION: cat·e·nar·y
      PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: ktn-r, k-tn-r KEY
      NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. cat·e·nar·ies
      1. The curve formed by a perfectly flexible, uniformly dense, and
      inextensible cable suspended from its endpoints. It is identical to
      the graph of a hyperbolic cosine.
      2. Something having the general shape of this curve.
      ETYMOLOGY: New Latin catnria, from Latin, feminine of catnrius,
      relating to a chain, from catna, chain.
      OTHER FORMS: cate·nary —ADJEC

      OK, so the ridgeline, if pulled taught (really tight) then it cannot
      be curved? eh? so even if cut on a bias when pulled tight the bias
      disapears doesnt it? or maybe the taughtness hides in the material
      (dont laugh at that)..

      Now some honesty. I bought his tarp because
      1. enterprising student
      2. weight weight weight
      3. I liked the look-yes the curves, but little did I know the
      advantages of the catenary cut- an inherent ability of the cut
      material to remain taught -and thus shed wind/rain and decrease
      flapping.........

      Now to answer your question.....no I haven't set it up yet! and
      wanting to badly, just been so busy since returning from the Florida
      trip....trying to remember what else you asked about....oh, I will
      attach the tarp to the trees whatever , not to the hammock...in fact
      just got the Light Racer and had to remove the OEM tarp....
      Hope any of this helps
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2004
        Hi, I have a Moss Heptawing Tarp that I have always
        refereed to as a type of Catenary Cut or Curve tarp.
        Bill Moss called it a "Hyperbolic Parabola." I really
        like the tarp design and size and would only replace
        it with another one of the same pattern, but lighter.
        I am also a Potter and have built or helped build a
        number of Catenary Arch Kilns. To create the Catenary
        curve we would decide how wide the base of the Kiln
        would be and how tall the kiln would be. Then working
        upside down we would attach a chain to a wall on the
        left side of the base, drop the chain down as far as
        the kiln was tall, then bring the other end of the
        chain up and attach it to the right side of the base.
        The natural drape of the chain gave us our Cantenary
        Arch or curve. I don't know how this comes into play
        for a tarp design. I would guess it was all done with
        a computer program. If you look at this web site you
        can see several pictures of the Heptawing.

        http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/tents/moss_heptawing.html

        I just hung my Heptawing Trap outside long enough to
        take a picture of it attached only at the ridge-line.
        The sides are just hanging down and you get a good
        side view. When the Heptawing is hung between two
        trees as I would to cover my Hammock, the ridge-line
        curve is not very noticeable. When I use the tent
        poles that came with the tarp the curve is much more
        noticeable. I was told that MSR, who now sells the
        Moss line of tarp, is going to stop selling the
        Heptawing.

        Does any of this make any difference, I don't know
        that answer. I have some .64oz silnylon and will make
        a copy my tarp some day in the lighter material. I
        should be able to go from 23oz to about 7 or 8oz.
        Would I buy a tarp of this design at the lower weight
        to keep from making my own, Yes, I think so. Hint -
        Hint.
        Bill

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools