Possible Underquilt Scam

  • B D
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
      This is an alert notice to all those who responded to Scott Thacher's (White Knight) offer to fabricate an underquilt offer in December 2003.  There appears to be a possible fraud perpetrated through the yahoogroup Hammockcamping and I would not be at all surprised to discover my being extracted from the group after the notice. I do see some people like to "filter" topics but here goes...

      With all due respect to Mr. Thacher, it appears that I personally have been scammed out of about $40 under the pretense that he was in the process of making an underquilt.  By examining the chronology since the order was offerred and accepted, it appears he had no intent in completing his agreement.  What started out to be one month from 12/26/03 has now lapsed into going on over two months. I try to be as trusting as the next person but there comes a time when you have to give up the trust.  He indicated he would have my order shipped by Monday 2/23/04 and as of 2/27/04 I am still waiting to receive it. I explained the urgency need due to an upcoming hiking plan and he agreed  to ship the finished product. Well, there goes $40 (I'll count it as a donation to my idiot fund) but, hey...I didn't send the final payment upon the email notice as he wanted, so "fool me once...shame on you...fool me twice..shame on me".  I just hope others weren't scammed in similar fashion.  I hope they do receive what they ordered and I was an isolated case; however, if they are still anticipating it, I would question the veracity of any assertion previously made. You know, I've always been hesitant about e-commerce security and identity theft issues which was one of the reasons I sent a money order rather than a personal check. For those who did send checks, I suggest you check with your bank for any unusual activities. There may be a network going on. Our area banks have been hit several times by a person who deposits a minimal sum into a check account number (stolen from mailboxes) and quickly and subsequently returns to withdraw a large amount of money from the account. It would be interesting if I still stay on this listing after this notice. The following is a Chronology of this transaction.  Oh by the way, try doing a search for him on white pages through Webcrawler. Good luck everyone, David.  I want to thank Risk (ra1@...) for his knowledge through his website.  Through his instructions, I was able to make a double bottom hammock using rip-stop, some sewing, and webbing. I recently tested the hammock in 20 degree weather w/o incident so I am ready for my March hike in the Smokies. The cost was minimal but the experience was priceless.  Thank you Risk.bd

      Chronology of Underquilt Order:
      Ordered quilt around 12/12/03...and an followup email was sent 12/26/03 by Mr. Thacher..."well hello, here is the under quilt update:  i had 9 orders for quilts then one canceled then another possible order i should know this weekend. but i am taking the deposits and starting now but i will be making the full 10 for sale but the extras will be more later. you wanted a full length under quilt with 3 inches of loft ( under body tapering to less on the sides ) . the total is 80 bucks, including shipping, but only send a 40 dollar deposit . i would recommend you order 6 ozs of 800 fp down of 8 ozs of 700 fp down ( feathered friends is a good source for the 700 fp) in about 2 weeks, turn around should be a month.

      my address is:
      scott thacher
      1215 s clinton st
      baltimore md 21224

      The next email from Mr. Thacher was on 1/5/04:
      "ok sorry for this on list

      i have recieved several checks ( and a mo ) those of you who sent em
      now who you are, i will be emailing all those on wed. for their
      knowledge.  i ordered the fabrics today, i got olive green ( dark i
      think ) to match the basic colors of the HH for the outer shell, and
      gray/silver for the inside. i do have enough camo for 2 underquilts
      if anybody wants it, it is first come first get.

      white knight

      443 850 7194
      "

      The next email was dated 1/26/04 from an inquiry I made to ascertain if Mr. Thacher received by down payment:
      "yes i got your money

      and the quilts will be done in about 2 weeks

      sorry but several people were slow on sending money

      scott
      443 850 7194 and feel free to call
      "

      This next email was dated 2/17/04 from Mr. Thacher:
      "to all of the curious customers of mine.

      most of the under quilts are done ( 2 left ) but i cannot find my
      cross grain ribbon and elastic for the top and bottom. i ordered more
      today, i should have it wed.

      now for the update they weigh in at 7.3 ozs not including the elastic
      and ribbon loops. i should think that they should wind up at about
      9.3 ozs or so before filling ( full size  3 inch loft ones including
      shock cords ) and after filling they should should come in at about
      18 ozs including down. they measure 72 long by 40 wide, with 3 inch
      baffles tapering down to 1.5 at the side edges. which means there is
      a 68 by 36 area that will have a 2.5 to 3 inch loft. should be good
      to at least 20 degrees or lower depending on clothing ( i sleep in
      shorts ) if you go from the "standard" loft heights they should do 0
      degrees, but i dont trust those numbers. i can have pics for anybody
      who wants em, i have one that i have to stuff and i will be done that
      one this coming weekend ( i hope ) and will post pics of that one.
      and will post all of the measurements here for who ever wants to make
      there own.

      i think i will make 5 more of the 3/4 length that are sewn thru
      construction and will sell for 50 bucks, these should due 50 degrees
      and up for general use.

      sorry for the delay but i have sewn a total of 180 baffle to shell
      seams and 32 edge seams, and i needed a few days off. and now have to
      wait for elastic and ribbon.

      sorry again

      scott
      aka white knight"

      On 2/20/04, I requested consideration as I was in the process of planning an early March hike.  His response follows:
      "B D <bd29162dc@...> wrote:
      Scott: Not to be a bother but a group of us guys are planning a four day excursion on the AT on 3/8/04 and was wondering if you could expedite my order shipping.  I've had my down for some time and it will take some time to complete and sew and test before then. Let me know if this is possible.  Thanks. David
      On 2/21/04, he responded:
      "A9144me@... wrote:
      your should go out monday

      it would be sunday but you know"

      Well, Monday came and went and as of 2/27/04...no underquilt. I just hope the $40 bucks went to some good and not up a nose.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • John Kennedy
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
        I would suggest that you go to your main post office and file a mail fraud complaint.  This is a federal offense if, in fact, they took your moeny and are not going to send you the product.

        Thanks,
        John
        Wholesale pricing to the public
        www.jekco.com

      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
          Quoting B D <bd29162dc@...>:

          > This is an alert notice to all those who responded to Scott Thacher's (White
          > Knight) offer to fabricate an underquilt offer in December 2003...

          BD,

          As you are dissatisfied with Scott's service, I'd suggest you just cancel your
          order and ask for a refund. I'm sure he does not want a dusgruntled customer.

          Risk
        • B D
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
            Thanks for your comment Risk. The issue is not the money...it's the principle of ethics, trust in a man's word, and respect. My disgruntlement as expressed through my notice has now progressed to resolution. As far as I'm concerned, he can use my funds anyway he sees fit.bd

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
              From the responses I received, it appears I was out of order in airing my grievances regarding my previous post. I apologize for any inconvenience in the reading of the post and the emotional undertones. I am sure Mr. Scott Thacher has an explanation for delays and I apologize to him specifically for any allegations of wrongdoing.  I was frustrated due the fact of my planning and expectations.  One of my pet peeves is arranging a contractual agreement with someone and fulfilling my obligation as expeditously as possible only to be delayed by the other. It is a personal character defect of mine. I apologize for jumping the gun and subjecting the group members to my venting and raving especially against a fellow member. I've learned a lesson not to do any transactions through the groups from this point on. Once again, I apologize to all including Mr. Scott Thacher (White Knight).  Good luck in your endeavors, Scott.bd

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • subypower
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2004
                sorry for not answering any posts or emails i have been the the
                hospital sense monday after noon, with a sever virus going around the
                maryland area. it has been bad enough that several people have died
                in the area, mostly from dehidration at home. to give the systopms i
                had were sever diarea and vomitting with really screwed up blood
                chemistry, when i checked in on monady my blood pressure was 15
                points lower when standing than sitting and i recieved 2 liters of
                fluids by iv on monday night ( total of 4 liters by wednsday)and did
                not go to the bathroom ( peeing ) for 24 hours after that, i am
                better now but not fully recovered yet.

                but 3 quilts will be mailed tommarrow and the rest on monday, i will
                post pics here tommarrow so everybody can see what they look like

                i apologize for this but i was planning to mail the three out after
                work on monady but never made it home.

                btw if your area is having this virus and your are sick please go to
                the er, and wash your hands alot, because this outbreak is also
                causing norwalk virus cases in the local hospitals

                scott
              • Amy
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 7 6:22 PM
                  On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 12:30 AM, subypower wrote:

                  > sorry for not answering any posts or emails i have been the the
                  > hospital sense monday after noon, with a sever virus going around the
                  > maryland area. it has been bad enough that several people have died
                  > in the area, mostly from dehidration at home. to give the systopms i
                  > had were sever diarea and vomitting with really screwed up blood
                  > chemistry, when i checked in on monady my blood pressure was 15
                  > points lower when standing than sitting and i recieved 2 liters of
                  > fluids by iv on monday night ( total of 4 liters by wednsday)and did
                  > not go to the bathroom ( peeing ) for 24 hours after that, i am
                  > better now but not fully recovered yet.

                  Hey, Scott.. how ya feeling?

                  -amy