Re: Hammocks on Isle Royale ?

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
      <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know if it is legal to hammock camp at Isle Royale? We
      plan on
      > applying for cross country permits so we have the option of camping off
      > trail rather than in the campgounds if we so desire. Thanks.
      >
      > Chet

      I found no restriction to hammock camping listed in the rules if the
      cross country permits are granted. It would be good for LNT ethics of
      the place.

      Specifically,
      "Campers must stay in established campground unless they make
      arrangements for off trail hiking and camping when the camping permit
      is issued. Off trail hiking and camping is difficult at Isle Royale
      and recommended only for experienced campers."

      I have often thought of going to the park. If you go, please let us
      know what you learn on the trip.

      I did learn that filtering/boiling the water is necessary. The
      Wolf-Moose cycle encourages hydatid worm disease, which can infect
      humans. My old standby of Polar Pure is not effective.