RE: [Hammock Camping] Contacting Big Agnes

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2004
      I wrote to Tom Hennessy RAVING about my HH, offering to let him use my
      quotes in promotions, etc, not asking for a fee, and got no answer. This
      was last summer. I understand people have busy seasons, but no excuse for
      this. People make fun of REI because they over-sell gear and this irritates
      ultra-lightweight fanatics, but I have always found they have great customer
      service, and I have probably been to 8-10 different REI stores in as many
      states. Glad you had good results with BA. I like my sleeping bag.

      If you notice the latest Backpacker Magazine gear issue, they did a flame
      test on silnylon and found that it burns so slowly they are no longer making
      it an issue when they review gear. Point is, I enjoy seeing cottage
      industries lead the way on gear, and then the big companies start to wonder
      what is going on and have to scramble to catch up.
      Marsanne

      But I was a little disappointed when I wrote to
      Hennessy at the same time with a question and received
      nothing back. Just as with BA, I planned to forego the
      middleman (REI) and order from HH directly had I
      received the favor of an email response, effectively
      putting my REI dividend on the sale in HH's pocket.