Re: [Hammock Camping] Contacting Big Agnes

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2004
      I sure these guys are very busy, coming into their
      precamp big sales season, and emails can get
      overlooked. I prefer to deal directly instead of
      using a middleman distributer, especially with a
      smaller business, if that is more beneficial to them.
      But responding to potential customers does make a
      difference in business.

      I wrote to Big Agnes recently and received a detailed
      answer to my question from Bill right away. I
      immediately ordered and received a sleeping bag system
      based on his answer. It's perfect.

      But I was a little disappointed when I wrote to
      Hennessy at the same time with a question and received
      nothing back. Just as with BA, I planned to forego the
      middleman (REI) and order from HH directly had I
      received the favor of an email response, effectively
      putting my REI dividend on the sale in HH's pocket.

      I wrote to REI about their limited catalog line of
      Hennessy Hammocks, and I got an immediate response
      saying they could special order for me any item I
      wanted from HH. I'm now waiting for the REI annual
      dividend notice to be issued next week and I will
      order a HH from REI.

      - Old camper, new hammocker

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2004
        I wrote to Tom Hennessy RAVING about my HH, offering to let him use my
        quotes in promotions, etc, not asking for a fee, and got no answer. This
        was last summer. I understand people have busy seasons, but no excuse for
        this. People make fun of REI because they over-sell gear and this irritates
        ultra-lightweight fanatics, but I have always found they have great customer
        service, and I have probably been to 8-10 different REI stores in as many
        states. Glad you had good results with BA. I like my sleeping bag.

        If you notice the latest Backpacker Magazine gear issue, they did a flame
        test on silnylon and found that it burns so slowly they are no longer making
        it an issue when they review gear. Point is, I enjoy seeing cottage
        industries lead the way on gear, and then the big companies start to wonder
        what is going on and have to scramble to catch up.
        Marsanne