Re: [Hammock Camping] Contacting Big Agnes

  • augendre
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27 4:13 AM
      Only problem is REI doesn't send the models I'm set on ...

      In the mean time, I did send a fax to Big Agnes and, guess what,
      eventually, a real human being mailed me back. So much for the new
      technologies !

      Anyway, thanks a lot for answering.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
      > REI is a very well respected outdoor gear company which sells many
      bags,
      > including those made by Big Agnes. I recently bought one from them
      at a
      > reduced price, and am happy with it. They have internet sales and
      many
      > stores in the US. Here is their website: www.rei.com They also
      sell the
      > pads. Don't feel bad about not getting an answer from Big Agnes via
      email.
      > That is an area where many companies do not do well. Good luck!
      > Marsanne (in Louisiana)

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27 5:12 AM
        I sure these guys are very busy, coming into their
        precamp big sales season, and emails can get
        overlooked. I prefer to deal directly instead of
        using a middleman distributer, especially with a
        smaller business, if that is more beneficial to them.
        But responding to potential customers does make a
        difference in business.

        I wrote to Big Agnes recently and received a detailed
        answer to my question from Bill right away. I
        immediately ordered and received a sleeping bag system
        based on his answer. It's perfect.

        But I was a little disappointed when I wrote to
        Hennessy at the same time with a question and received
        nothing back. Just as with BA, I planned to forego the
        middleman (REI) and order from HH directly had I
        received the favor of an email response, effectively
        putting my REI dividend on the sale in HH's pocket.

        I wrote to REI about their limited catalog line of
        Hennessy Hammocks, and I got an immediate response
        saying they could special order for me any item I
        wanted from HH. I'm now waiting for the REI annual
        dividend notice to be issued next week and I will
        order a HH from REI.

        - Old camper, new hammocker

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27 7:24 AM
          I wrote to Tom Hennessy RAVING about my HH, offering to let him use my
          quotes in promotions, etc, not asking for a fee, and got no answer. This
          was last summer. I understand people have busy seasons, but no excuse for
          this. People make fun of REI because they over-sell gear and this irritates
          ultra-lightweight fanatics, but I have always found they have great customer
          service, and I have probably been to 8-10 different REI stores in as many
          states. Glad you had good results with BA. I like my sleeping bag.

          If you notice the latest Backpacker Magazine gear issue, they did a flame
          test on silnylon and found that it burns so slowly they are no longer making
          it an issue when they review gear. Point is, I enjoy seeing cottage
          industries lead the way on gear, and then the big companies start to wonder
          what is going on and have to scramble to catch up.
          Marsanne