Hammocks on Isle Royale ?

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
      Does anyone know if it is legal to hammock camp at Isle Royale? We plan on
      applying for cross country permits so we have the option of camping off
      trail rather than in the campgounds if we so desire. Thanks.

      Chet
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
        <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know if it is legal to hammock camp at Isle Royale? We
        plan on
        > applying for cross country permits so we have the option of camping off
        > trail rather than in the campgounds if we so desire. Thanks.
        >
        > Chet

        I found no restriction to hammock camping listed in the rules if the
        cross country permits are granted. It would be good for LNT ethics of
        the place.

        Specifically,
        "Campers must stay in established campground unless they make
        arrangements for off trail hiking and camping when the camping permit
        is issued. Off trail hiking and camping is difficult at Isle Royale
        and recommended only for experienced campers."

        I have often thought of going to the park. If you go, please let us
        know what you learn on the trip.

        I did learn that filtering/boiling the water is necessary. The
        Wolf-Moose cycle encourages hydatid worm disease, which can infect
        humans. My old standby of Polar Pure is not effective.