Contacting Big Agnes

  • augendre
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2004
      I'd like to buy a sleeping bag and the matching pad from Big Agnes,
      but they didn't answer any mail I sent them, either using their web
      site or the e-mail info@...

      Any idea about how to reach them ?

      As I am in France (and my english is not too fluent ...), phone is
      not really an option.

      Thank you for any idea.
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2004
        REI is a very well respected outdoor gear company which sells many bags,
        including those made by Big Agnes. I recently bought one from them at a
        reduced price, and am happy with it. They have internet sales and many
        stores in the US. Here is their website: www.rei.com They also sell the
        pads. Don't feel bad about not getting an answer from Big Agnes via email.
        That is an area where many companies do not do well. Good luck!
        Marsanne (in Louisiana)

        I'd like to buy a sleeping bag and the matching pad from Big Agnes,
        but they didn't answer any mail I sent them, either using their web
        site or the e-mail info@...

        Any idea about how to reach them ?

        As I am in France (and my english is not too fluent ...), phone is
        not really an option.

        Thank you for any idea.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2004
          Dear French member,
          In case you need help with your English, here are some phrases you can use
          when sending emails to stores, with correct English spelling and grammar.
          Just copy these and save them.

          I am in France. Do you ship internationally?

          If so, how much does that cost, and how long will it take?

          What methods of payment do you accept?

          If you do not ship internationally, can you recommend a retailer who does
          and who has Big Agnes bags?

          Hope this helps you, friend. Marsanne

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2004
            Only problem is REI doesn't send the models I'm set on ...

            In the mean time, I did send a fax to Big Agnes and, guess what,
            eventually, a real human being mailed me back. So much for the new
            technologies !

            Anyway, thanks a lot for answering.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
            > REI is a very well respected outdoor gear company which sells many
            bags,
            > including those made by Big Agnes. I recently bought one from them
            at a
            > reduced price, and am happy with it. They have internet sales and
            many
            > stores in the US. Here is their website: www.rei.com They also
            sell the
            > pads. Don't feel bad about not getting an answer from Big Agnes via
            email.
            > That is an area where many companies do not do well. Good luck!
            > Marsanne (in Louisiana)

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2004
              I sure these guys are very busy, coming into their
              precamp big sales season, and emails can get
              overlooked. I prefer to deal directly instead of
              using a middleman distributer, especially with a
              smaller business, if that is more beneficial to them.
              But responding to potential customers does make a
              difference in business.

              I wrote to Big Agnes recently and received a detailed
              answer to my question from Bill right away. I
              immediately ordered and received a sleeping bag system
              based on his answer. It's perfect.

              But I was a little disappointed when I wrote to
              Hennessy at the same time with a question and received
              nothing back. Just as with BA, I planned to forego the
              middleman (REI) and order from HH directly had I
              received the favor of an email response, effectively
              putting my REI dividend on the sale in HH's pocket.

              I wrote to REI about their limited catalog line of
              Hennessy Hammocks, and I got an immediate response
              saying they could special order for me any item I
              wanted from HH. I'm now waiting for the REI annual
              dividend notice to be issued next week and I will
              order a HH from REI.

              - Old camper, new hammocker

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
            • firefly
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2004
                I wrote to Tom Hennessy RAVING about my HH, offering to let him use my
                quotes in promotions, etc, not asking for a fee, and got no answer. This
                was last summer. I understand people have busy seasons, but no excuse for
                this. People make fun of REI because they over-sell gear and this irritates
                ultra-lightweight fanatics, but I have always found they have great customer
                service, and I have probably been to 8-10 different REI stores in as many
                states. Glad you had good results with BA. I like my sleeping bag.

                If you notice the latest Backpacker Magazine gear issue, they did a flame
                test on silnylon and found that it burns so slowly they are no longer making
                it an issue when they review gear. Point is, I enjoy seeing cottage
                industries lead the way on gear, and then the big companies start to wonder
                what is going on and have to scramble to catch up.
                Marsanne