RE: Hammock Camping Re: Methods of securing hammocks to trees

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
      It's dead simple. It's just like an adjustable, sliding belt
      buckle, only stamped out of maybe 1/16-inch metal. Think of
      a military-style BDU belt and its buckle.

      The CC hammock I'm talking about is a simple hammock with a
      casement at either end. The strap passes through the
      casement, gets looped around the tree, then fastened and
      adjusted with the buckle.

      You wouldn't do that for an HH. The webbing would go around
      the tree, but you'd leave a large, loose loop at the end
      where the buckle is. The HH ridgeline would be clipped
      (caribiner) or tied to the loop. The webbing would be
      tightened.

      Don't hurt your head if this isn't clear.

      I think Ed's straps and wrapping method would work well,
      too. Except you sew a steel D-ring into one end of the
      strap. Then the HH ridgeline would attach to that D-ring.

      Bear
    • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7 <tcoug7@a...>"
        <tcoug7@a...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell"
        > <dchinell@m...> wrote:
        > > Tim:
        > >
        > > I think the Crazy Creek system deserves consideration too.
        >

        > Got a pic??

        I have a good pic of the buckle in my recent BGT report. It is the
        second pic down. Like David said, It is very simple. You may need
        to copy and paste the link to the address bar.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
        20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20%20-%202003/Coy%20Starnes/Crazy%20Crib%20LEX%
        202003%20initial%20report%20by%20Coy%20Starnes/

        Coy Boy
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 7, 2003
          Coy Boy:

          That IS a good picture. Do you mind if I copy it for
          personal use? And if anybody ever finds a source of those
          buckles, PLEASE let me know. I've tried OWF and various
          Internet searches, but came up empty.

          Bear

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2003
            David

            That pic is compresses. I'll send you the original 640 x 480
            after school. I dont have that image on this (my home desk)
            computer. My wife has the laptop where I stored the pic. My home
            computer will not transfer a pic from an email to desktop (for
            upload purposes). I had several reports with pics on the old BGT
            site which I could not include in my reports when the move was made
            to the new site for this reason.

            Coy Boy