RE: [Hammock Camping] Are any families using a hammock in their home as their bed?

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
      Ed,
      Along these same lines, my uncle has been sleeping in a recliner because of
      shoulder problems that he let go (torn ligaments or something, I forgot) and
      required surgery and now he has a permanent problem. The family has an email
      group, and I suggested a hammock, and got no replies. They are all
      conservative rural Arkansans and think I am crazy, anyway, having become a
      "naturalized Cajun" and embraced New Orleans/South La culture. But I would
      still like to help my dear uncle. Do you think a hammock would help him? I
      am not driving 300 miles up to South Arkansas to help him put it up, but
      would be happy to send him any recommendations the group might have.
      Marsanne

      Some folks with minor-moderate back problems have
      actually switched to my solid fabric hammock full time!
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
        Good question, Marsanne. But since I'm not a doctor, I can't say for sure
        and so I refrain from actually recommending a hammock for a specific
        injury--I could get into really deep trouble for that! However, I have seen
        some really amazing positive reactions from some folks with age- or
        injury-related problems. While I certainly haven't seen a significant
        number of trials, I have seen only a few negative reactions--however, I have
        encountered folks who were unwilling to subject their injured body to a
        hammock for fear of further damage. Certainly some injuries are far too
        severe for the physical exertion required to enter and exit a hammock
        safely. I'd recommend a cautious test with assistance available to help
        getting out of the hammock, but only if the person in question is willing
        and accepts responsibility for whatever happens. Forcing an injured person
        into a hammock would be unadvisable.

        This really is a serious concern since so many people have back/hip/shoulder
        injuries and they naturally seek any relief from the pain. They may be too
        willing to try a hammock in the hopes of relief only to find it causes more
        damage. The sensible approach is to assume some folks will be helped while
        some will see no improvement and some may experience more damage. Of
        course, much depends on the type, location and extent of injury--only a
        qualified doctor should make recommendations and most would probably opt for
        "no hammock" to cover their liability. However, if the injured person
        decides on their own to try hammocks, the responsibility is theirs alone.
        As a manufacturer of hammocks, I try to follow an informed customer approach
        and refrain from giving specific advice to anyone with an injury.

        Hope this helps...Ed
        Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

      • firefly
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
          1. Nope, I was not planning on hogtying my 70-something year old uncle and
          forcing him into a hammock
          2. You sound like a lawyer.
          3. I am just teasing you, I was thinking out loud, and I don't blame you for
          being cautious. He's not going to do it anyway.

          Marsanne
          and accepts responsibility for whatever happens. Forcing an injured person
          into a hammock would be unadvisable.

          However, if the injured person
          decides on their own to try hammocks, the responsibility is theirs alone.
          As a manufacturer of hammocks, I try to follow an informed customer approach
          and refrain from giving specific advice to anyone with an injury.

          Hope this helps...Ed
        • uluheman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
            We have a large Mayan hammock hanging from ceiling hooks set into the
            concrete ceiling of our condominum. We just move both ends to one
            hook when we want to get it out of the way. I sometimes sleep in it
            overnight, and love it, though, as someone else mentioned, you lose
            cuddling opportunities that way.

            I've found well-made fine-mesh Mayan hammocks to be quite durable,
            providing good support. In our warm, humid climate here in Hawaii,
            they can be more comfortable than solid fabric versions, too, which
            can sometimes be a little clammy. However, I'm satisfied with the
            solid nylon ones that I've made, as well as my Hammock Bliss (which
            worked fine on a dayhike last week for a two-person siesta
            overlooking Kalauao Valley and, in the distance, Pearl Harbor) and my
            two Hennessys for backpacking.

            The main thing about sleeping overnight in a hammock is learning how
            to do it, I think. It's not only about sleeping diagonally (a must),
            it's also about learning what sort of pillow, if any, you prefer with
            a particular hammock; how to arrange your legs so they don't
            feeled "locked" at the knees; and how to arrange your arms to give
            your head and torso just the right positioning. E.g., an arm slung
            along the edge of the hammock will raise your head and shoulders.
            Once you get used to it, you do these things automatically, but, at
            first, it might take a bit of practice.

            The bottom line, though, is that I've found no deeper bodily
            relaxation during sleep than in a hammock. There is literally nothing
            like it for comfort.

            Brandon in Honolulu

            > Hi Rodney, your interest in a bedroom hammock for your daughter is
            well
            > placed! I'd encourage you to get one right away--children take
            naturally to
            > hammocks and I find you can't keep them away. Of course, the solid
            fabric
            > ones give better support than net or rope hammocks and are the only
            ones I
            > recommend for long-term sleeping. For inside use it dosen't have
            to be one...
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
              Hey we need to plan a treehang confab in Hawaii. :]

              Ralph

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "uluheman" <UluheMan@h...>

            • J Cornelius
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                Hi Rodney,

                I am an adult with LOTS of sleeping problems and I sleep in a hammock at
                home. My back does not bother me sleeping in this hammock. In fact, it's
                very comfortable. What you need to do is get a Malaysian type hammock that
                you sleep in diagonally, not banana like. I use the Amazona brand of
                hammock and am VERY pleased with it.

                If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me off
                list or here.

                Jodi
                bpskids at charter dot net

                reviews and tests on the planet!
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                  Rodney,

                  I have 3 kids, they ,love sleeping in hammocks, unfortunately there is not
                  enough room to hang them indoors, tables, dresses, clostest etc in the way
                  and the room is not that big...

                  i can hang one but then there is the eternal fight over who gets to use
                  it...
                  anybody, especially kids who try our out when we are camping ask for where
                  to buy one...

                  last summer at a camp out a friend's daughter used mine one night and
                  refuesd to go back to here hug comfy air matress in her tent! i thought it
                  was cute so i let her sleep in my hammock, of course i did not get much
                  sleep the last two nights in that darn tent... ended up making her her own
                  tent for her bday and she loves it... great for all that reading she has
                  to do for homework...

                  robi