RE: [Hammock Camping] Are any families using a hammock in their home as their bed?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
      Hi Rodney, your interest in a bedroom hammock for your daughter is well
      placed! I'd encourage you to get one right away--children take naturally to
      hammocks and I find you can't keep them away. Of course, the solid fabric
      ones give better support than net or rope hammocks and are the only ones I
      recommend for long-term sleeping. For inside use it dosen't have to be one
      of the complete camping hammocks we talk about most here. However, I make
      and sell camping hammocks and have sold several to folks who have liked them
      so much they'd installed them in the bedroom! Actually I've spent over
      4,500 hours in mine! Some folks with minor-moderate back problems have
      actually switched to my solid fabric hammock full time! For children,
      safety concers of course include secure attachment to the walls or rafters
      and positioning close to the floor. This List has already discussed porper
      inside attachment methods--search the archives for info.

      So again, I'd suggest you try a proper hammock--maybe one of the versions
      less-expensive than a full feature camping hammock--just avoid the string or
      net types. My free Hammock Camping Newsletters are posted online--each gives
      a list of web sites of many hammock makers who offer hammocks that would
      serve your purpose. Go to:
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

      Ed
      Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
        Ed,
        Along these same lines, my uncle has been sleeping in a recliner because of
        shoulder problems that he let go (torn ligaments or something, I forgot) and
        required surgery and now he has a permanent problem. The family has an email
        group, and I suggested a hammock, and got no replies. They are all
        conservative rural Arkansans and think I am crazy, anyway, having become a
        "naturalized Cajun" and embraced New Orleans/South La culture. But I would
        still like to help my dear uncle. Do you think a hammock would help him? I
        am not driving 300 miles up to South Arkansas to help him put it up, but
        would be happy to send him any recommendations the group might have.
        Marsanne

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
          Good question, Marsanne. But since I'm not a doctor, I can't say for sure
          and so I refrain from actually recommending a hammock for a specific
          injury--I could get into really deep trouble for that! However, I have seen
          some really amazing positive reactions from some folks with age- or
          injury-related problems. While I certainly haven't seen a significant
          number of trials, I have seen only a few negative reactions--however, I have
          encountered folks who were unwilling to subject their injured body to a
          hammock for fear of further damage. Certainly some injuries are far too
          severe for the physical exertion required to enter and exit a hammock
          safely. I'd recommend a cautious test with assistance available to help
          getting out of the hammock, but only if the person in question is willing
          and accepts responsibility for whatever happens. Forcing an injured person
          into a hammock would be unadvisable.

          This really is a serious concern since so many people have back/hip/shoulder
          injuries and they naturally seek any relief from the pain. They may be too
          willing to try a hammock in the hopes of relief only to find it causes more
          damage. The sensible approach is to assume some folks will be helped while
          some will see no improvement and some may experience more damage. Of
          course, much depends on the type, location and extent of injury--only a
          qualified doctor should make recommendations and most would probably opt for
          "no hammock" to cover their liability. However, if the injured person
          decides on their own to try hammocks, the responsibility is theirs alone.
          As a manufacturer of hammocks, I try to follow an informed customer approach
          and refrain from giving specific advice to anyone with an injury.

          Hope this helps...Ed
          Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

        • firefly
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
            1. Nope, I was not planning on hogtying my 70-something year old uncle and
            forcing him into a hammock
            2. You sound like a lawyer.
            3. I am just teasing you, I was thinking out loud, and I don't blame you for
            being cautious. He's not going to do it anyway.

            Marsanne
            and accepts responsibility for whatever happens. Forcing an injured person
            into a hammock would be unadvisable.

            However, if the injured person
            decides on their own to try hammocks, the responsibility is theirs alone.
            As a manufacturer of hammocks, I try to follow an informed customer approach
            and refrain from giving specific advice to anyone with an injury.

            Hope this helps...Ed
          • uluheman
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
              We have a large Mayan hammock hanging from ceiling hooks set into the
              concrete ceiling of our condominum. We just move both ends to one
              hook when we want to get it out of the way. I sometimes sleep in it
              overnight, and love it, though, as someone else mentioned, you lose
              cuddling opportunities that way.

              I've found well-made fine-mesh Mayan hammocks to be quite durable,
              providing good support. In our warm, humid climate here in Hawaii,
              they can be more comfortable than solid fabric versions, too, which
              can sometimes be a little clammy. However, I'm satisfied with the
              solid nylon ones that I've made, as well as my Hammock Bliss (which
              worked fine on a dayhike last week for a two-person siesta
              overlooking Kalauao Valley and, in the distance, Pearl Harbor) and my
              two Hennessys for backpacking.

              The main thing about sleeping overnight in a hammock is learning how
              to do it, I think. It's not only about sleeping diagonally (a must),
              it's also about learning what sort of pillow, if any, you prefer with
              a particular hammock; how to arrange your legs so they don't
              feeled "locked" at the knees; and how to arrange your arms to give
              your head and torso just the right positioning. E.g., an arm slung
              along the edge of the hammock will raise your head and shoulders.
              Once you get used to it, you do these things automatically, but, at
              first, it might take a bit of practice.

              The bottom line, though, is that I've found no deeper bodily
              relaxation during sleep than in a hammock. There is literally nothing
              like it for comfort.

              Brandon in Honolulu

              > Hi Rodney, your interest in a bedroom hammock for your daughter is
              well
              > placed! I'd encourage you to get one right away--children take
              naturally to
              > hammocks and I find you can't keep them away. Of course, the solid
              fabric
              > ones give better support than net or rope hammocks and are the only
              ones I
              > recommend for long-term sleeping. For inside use it dosen't have
              to be one...
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                Hey we need to plan a treehang confab in Hawaii. :]

                Ralph

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "uluheman" <UluheMan@h...>

              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                  Hi Rodney,

                  I am an adult with LOTS of sleeping problems and I sleep in a hammock at
                  home. My back does not bother me sleeping in this hammock. In fact, it's
                  very comfortable. What you need to do is get a Malaysian type hammock that
                  you sleep in diagonally, not banana like. I use the Amazona brand of
                  hammock and am VERY pleased with it.

                  If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me off
                  list or here.

                  Jodi
                  bpskids at charter dot net

                  reviews and tests on the planet!
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                    Rodney,

                    I have 3 kids, they ,love sleeping in hammocks, unfortunately there is not
                    enough room to hang them indoors, tables, dresses, clostest etc in the way
                    and the room is not that big...

                    i can hang one but then there is the eternal fight over who gets to use
                    it...
                    anybody, especially kids who try our out when we are camping ask for where
                    to buy one...

                    last summer at a camp out a friend's daughter used mine one night and
                    refuesd to go back to here hug comfy air matress in her tent! i thought it
                    was cute so i let her sleep in my hammock, of course i did not get much
                    sleep the last two nights in that darn tent... ended up making her her own
                    tent for her bday and she loves it... great for all that reading she has
                    to do for homework...

                    robi