RE: Hammock Camping Question

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      Message
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Marge Prothman [mailto:marge@...]
      Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 2:51 PM
      To: Hammockcamping
      Subject: Hammock Camping Question

      Before I go and order a Evazote, one inch pad from MEC in Canada, has anyone
      had any experience  using this pad or know anything about the density or
      cold rating? Here is the site url, go to Main shopping, then sleeping bags,
      then pads on the left side of page.

      Cheers,  Marge
      http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp;jsessionid=2dTX7HkwSoem

      Marge, I checked them out. They look good, although I've never used one. The large winter pad is 23.6" (60mm) wide, so it's on the narrow side. It's also 15mm thick which is only 3/4", I think.  But that may be good, since foam pads as thick as 1" buckle in a hammock and create uncomfortable folds.  Better to use two thinner foam pads.  Since you're in very cold temps up there, the Evazote Winter pad (15mmX60cmX185 cm) along with a 26-30" wide 1/4" thick pad should do nicely.  Some sources of 1/4" pads are given in the Jan issue of Hammock Camping News.
      Ed
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Message
        Ed, thanks for your reply.  I am still thinking about the Evazote pad.  I have the 1/4 " padding I ;purchased from Wilderness Fabric and that is what is giving me fits inside the hammock. It will not stay in place and buckles even after I reshape and cut it at different angles in hope that it will lay flat.  It envelopes me like a cocoon, and I like to lay flat on my hammock on my side.
        thanks,  Marge
          That's interesting Marge. I was wondering if others also had problems
          with wide pads in the hammock. How wide is your 1/4" pad? I find 30"
          about the max I can take; although wider is even warmer.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
          wrote:
          > Ed, thanks for your reply. I am still thinking about the Evazote
          pad. I
          > have the 1/4 " padding I ;purchased from Wilderness Fabric and that
          is what
          > is giving me fits inside the hammock. It will not stay in place and
          buckles
          > even after I reshape and cut it at different angles in hope that it
          will lay
          > flat. It envelopes me like a cocoon, and I like to lay flat on my
          hammock
          > on my side.
          > thanks, Marge
        • Marge Prothman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            Ed,
            The pad I purchased from Wilderness Fabrics was Foam Y20 1/4" 2lb Den 40 x
            80.
            I trimmed it down to 35" x 65" left a piece sticking up for the head 8' x
            16" and
            Made a slit up the middle at the bottom about 16". I put this in first, then
            my Windshield
            Reflector and my Mtn Wash. Pad (closed foam).

            The 1/4" pad for me cocooned me too much and would not lay flat, it got
            folds in it.
            Marge

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              Ed and Marge:

              That's an advantage a the Tropical (or other top entry)
              hammock with two layers. I've used a trimmed Oware pad
              that's about 48 inches wide. Goes from edge to edge of my
              hammock, but stays flat and stable. I just can't roll it up
              neatly.

              Bear

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                I've also had the buckle problems Marge referred to. I often solve
                the problem by putting one or more of my pads inside the Pea Pod
                shell so they lie outside the hammock. I favor the comfort of the
                hammock without a pad inside anyway; but it is warmer if the pad is
                inside. So I let the temperature tell me where to put the pad/s. Of
                course folks without the Pea Pod or Bear's 'double bottom' hammock
                can't do this. And such a wide pad is difficult to fold/roll and
                stuff into a pack. So I use wide liner pads for car camping and
                multiple narrow pads for hiking.
                Ed

              • PUDSCRAWLER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
                  Ed, I have a question for you.

                  When I purchased my hammock (Gathering '04), you mentioned that you had one
                  hanging in your bedroom or the like.

                  I would like to set mine up that way too, but I need to know how.

                  None of my walls (plaster in 125-year-old farm house) are the correct
                  distance from one another. In other words, the hammock would have to hang "catty
                  corner" from two adjoining walls. I weigh 180. How could I do this in such a
                  way that the hammock would not fail?

                  Thanks,

                  Sawnie Robertson