Are any families using a hammock in their home as their bed?

  • Rodney Ziebol
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 22, 2004
      Hello,

      I recently joined this group to find out about hammocks in general.
      We are considering this for our children and are wondering if there
      are any negative benefits like back problems. All of the websites
      that are selling hammocks say they are good for your back. I would
      like to hear from people using hammocks. If you could provide
      feedback it would be greatly appreciated. We are also going to check
      with chiropractors as well.

      Do any of the members of this group have a hammock for sleeping in
      their home as well?

      Have you had any problems medically related that have occured as a
      result of using a hammock for sleeping nightly at home?

      Our child has lots of problems falling a sleep at night. She has a
      medical condition that is causing this. Our hope is that with a
      hammock she will fall a sleep sooner and have a more restful sleep.

      regards,

      Rodney
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
        I have a Hammock Bliss that I sleep in set up for use in the home.
        Yes, it is great for my back (I have lower back pain). It is
        fantastic during hot weather (we rarely use air conditioning) but not
        so good during the winter here in WV (we heat with wood and my
        bedroom is a "cold" room) unless I put a pad on the bottom of the
        hammock. I got my brother and his wife (both bad backs) two hammocks
        this past Fall. They used theirs as primary until the weather got
        cold and will go back to hammock use when the weather gets warmer.
        Down side is sleeping in a hammock is a solo thing so not much chance
        of using the spouse to keep warm (up side is you don't have to worry
        about cold feet on your back). Bottom line is I recommend it but
        advise purchase of a cheaper hammock (I recommend Hammock Bliss) and
        testing before committing to a whole house concept. Some of your
        guests may balk at sleeping in a hammock. I've seen some great posts
        here on hanging methodology in homes.
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
          I have a Hammock Bliss, too, a double, (HUGE) and like it a lot. However, if
          I were using it on a continuing basis I would change the hanging system,
          replacing that junky cord it came with with straps.
          Marsanne

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
            Hi Rodney, your interest in a bedroom hammock for your daughter is well
            placed! I'd encourage you to get one right away--children take naturally to
            hammocks and I find you can't keep them away. Of course, the solid fabric
            ones give better support than net or rope hammocks and are the only ones I
            recommend for long-term sleeping. For inside use it dosen't have to be one
            of the complete camping hammocks we talk about most here. However, I make
            and sell camping hammocks and have sold several to folks who have liked them
            so much they'd installed them in the bedroom! Actually I've spent over
            4,500 hours in mine! Some folks with minor-moderate back problems have
            actually switched to my solid fabric hammock full time! For children,
            safety concers of course include secure attachment to the walls or rafters
            and positioning close to the floor. This List has already discussed porper
            inside attachment methods--search the archives for info.

            So again, I'd suggest you try a proper hammock--maybe one of the versions
            less-expensive than a full feature camping hammock--just avoid the string or
            net types. My free Hammock Camping Newsletters are posted online--each gives
            a list of web sites of many hammock makers who offer hammocks that would
            serve your purpose. Go to:
            http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

            Ed
            Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping
          • firefly
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
              Ed,
              Along these same lines, my uncle has been sleeping in a recliner because of
              shoulder problems that he let go (torn ligaments or something, I forgot) and
              required surgery and now he has a permanent problem. The family has an email
              group, and I suggested a hammock, and got no replies. They are all
              conservative rural Arkansans and think I am crazy, anyway, having become a
              "naturalized Cajun" and embraced New Orleans/South La culture. But I would
              still like to help my dear uncle. Do you think a hammock would help him? I
              am not driving 300 miles up to South Arkansas to help him put it up, but
              would be happy to send him any recommendations the group might have.
              Marsanne

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                Good question, Marsanne. But since I'm not a doctor, I can't say for sure
                and so I refrain from actually recommending a hammock for a specific
                injury--I could get into really deep trouble for that! However, I have seen
                some really amazing positive reactions from some folks with age- or
                injury-related problems. While I certainly haven't seen a significant
                number of trials, I have seen only a few negative reactions--however, I have
                encountered folks who were unwilling to subject their injured body to a
                hammock for fear of further damage. Certainly some injuries are far too
                severe for the physical exertion required to enter and exit a hammock
                safely. I'd recommend a cautious test with assistance available to help
                getting out of the hammock, but only if the person in question is willing
                and accepts responsibility for whatever happens. Forcing an injured person
                into a hammock would be unadvisable.

                This really is a serious concern since so many people have back/hip/shoulder
                injuries and they naturally seek any relief from the pain. They may be too
                willing to try a hammock in the hopes of relief only to find it causes more
                damage. The sensible approach is to assume some folks will be helped while
                some will see no improvement and some may experience more damage. Of
                course, much depends on the type, location and extent of injury--only a
                qualified doctor should make recommendations and most would probably opt for
                "no hammock" to cover their liability. However, if the injured person
                decides on their own to try hammocks, the responsibility is theirs alone.
                As a manufacturer of hammocks, I try to follow an informed customer approach
                and refrain from giving specific advice to anyone with an injury.

                Hope this helps...Ed
                Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

              • firefly
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                  1. Nope, I was not planning on hogtying my 70-something year old uncle and
                  forcing him into a hammock
                  2. You sound like a lawyer.
                  3. I am just teasing you, I was thinking out loud, and I don't blame you for
                  being cautious. He's not going to do it anyway.

                  Marsanne
                  and accepts responsibility for whatever happens. Forcing an injured person
                  into a hammock would be unadvisable.

                  However, if the injured person
                  decides on their own to try hammocks, the responsibility is theirs alone.
                  As a manufacturer of hammocks, I try to follow an informed customer approach
                  and refrain from giving specific advice to anyone with an injury.

                  Hope this helps...Ed
                • uluheman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                    We have a large Mayan hammock hanging from ceiling hooks set into the
                    concrete ceiling of our condominum. We just move both ends to one
                    hook when we want to get it out of the way. I sometimes sleep in it
                    overnight, and love it, though, as someone else mentioned, you lose
                    cuddling opportunities that way.

                    I've found well-made fine-mesh Mayan hammocks to be quite durable,
                    providing good support. In our warm, humid climate here in Hawaii,
                    they can be more comfortable than solid fabric versions, too, which
                    can sometimes be a little clammy. However, I'm satisfied with the
                    solid nylon ones that I've made, as well as my Hammock Bliss (which
                    worked fine on a dayhike last week for a two-person siesta
                    overlooking Kalauao Valley and, in the distance, Pearl Harbor) and my
                    two Hennessys for backpacking.

                    The main thing about sleeping overnight in a hammock is learning how
                    to do it, I think. It's not only about sleeping diagonally (a must),
                    it's also about learning what sort of pillow, if any, you prefer with
                    a particular hammock; how to arrange your legs so they don't
                    feeled "locked" at the knees; and how to arrange your arms to give
                    your head and torso just the right positioning. E.g., an arm slung
                    along the edge of the hammock will raise your head and shoulders.
                    Once you get used to it, you do these things automatically, but, at
                    first, it might take a bit of practice.

                    The bottom line, though, is that I've found no deeper bodily
                    relaxation during sleep than in a hammock. There is literally nothing
                    like it for comfort.

                    Brandon in Honolulu

                    > Hi Rodney, your interest in a bedroom hammock for your daughter is
                    well
                    > placed! I'd encourage you to get one right away--children take
                    naturally to
                    > hammocks and I find you can't keep them away. Of course, the solid
                    fabric
                    > ones give better support than net or rope hammocks and are the only
                    ones I
                    > recommend for long-term sleeping. For inside use it dosen't have
                    to be one...
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                      Hey we need to plan a treehang confab in Hawaii. :]

                      Ralph

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "uluheman" <UluheMan@h...>

                    • J Cornelius
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 23, 2004
                        Hi Rodney,

                        I am an adult with LOTS of sleeping problems and I sleep in a hammock at
                        home. My back does not bother me sleeping in this hammock. In fact, it's
                        very comfortable. What you need to do is get a Malaysian type hammock that
                        you sleep in diagonally, not banana like. I use the Amazona brand of
                        hammock and am VERY pleased with it.

                        If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me off
                        list or here.

                        Jodi
                        bpskids at charter dot net

                        reviews and tests on the planet!
[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      • robi dawson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                          Rodney,

                          I have 3 kids, they ,love sleeping in hammocks, unfortunately there is not
                          enough room to hang them indoors, tables, dresses, clostest etc in the way
                          and the room is not that big...

                          i can hang one but then there is the eternal fight over who gets to use
                          it...
                          anybody, especially kids who try our out when we are camping ask for where
                          to buy one...

                          last summer at a camp out a friend's daughter used mine one night and
                          refuesd to go back to here hug comfy air matress in her tent! i thought it
                          was cute so i let her sleep in my hammock, of course i did not get much
                          sleep the last two nights in that darn tent... ended up making her her own
                          tent for her bday and she loves it... great for all that reading she has
                          to do for homework...

                          robi