Re: [Hammock Camping] Clark hammocks for a thru hike?

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2004
      In a message dated 2/22/04 03:08:43 Eastern Standard Time, chrisfitz@... writes:

      Can anyone recommend Clark hammocks? If so, for what
      reasons?

      I am intrigued by the concept of hammock camping, something I
      have never tried. To research the subject, I have been  reading
      hiker forums. It seems that a majority of people use Hennessy
      models. I am curious to know why Clark users are under-
      represented.

      The side entrance to Clark hammocks appeals to me, but  I am
      wary about the lack of commentary about this brand

      I bought a Clark Jungle Hammock after reading about them on this List.  When I did a search for them and read their material I noticed that one of the reviewers -- Ed Speer -- who is an expert on Hammocks and manufacturers one of his own for sale (The Speer Hammock) wrote a glowing review about the Clark Jungle Hammock that persuaded me to buy it.

      The advantages of a Clark Jungle Hammock are many.  It has a few configurations depending on the depth of your financial resources and the weight of your personage. Since I carried some extra weight I needed to get the Deluxe model.  Since I got that model I have lost weight yet the extra pockets (for storage) under the hammock are a great way to add insulation on cooler nights.  The bug netting and storm fly can be zipped off and stored (while still attached so they don't get lost) and put into use when necessary.  The Fly that covers the Hammock gives protection from wet weather and can be set to varying heights depending upon conditions.

      Like the Speer Hammock the Clark Jungle Hammock is a side entry hammock that can be used as a seat during a rest stop along the trail when one declines to recline. Being a side entry hammock permits the user to add a bottom layer of insulation below the hammock on cold nights for added comfort.

      The Clark Jungle Hammock is fairly light (3.5 pounds) and compact.  I have enjoyed using mine and am bringing it on the AT in 37 days.

      Skylander
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2004
        I have a Clark Deluxe and highly recommend it. I too like the side
        entry (makes for quick entry and exit), the outside pockets (not
        impressed with the inner ones), the liner, weight, ease of setup and
        takedown, different configurations possible, and the forest green
        color (truly stealthy camping). I can't compare against a HH as I
        have never slept in one. I have been checking E-bay for a couple
        years looking for a Clark for sale but have never seen one offered to
        date. I have seen HHs for sale. I would love to have another but I
        suspect other Clark owners are like me: unwilling to give up their
        Clark. Perhaps an ex-spouse will be awarded one in a divorce
        settlement and sell it one day--I figure that or an estate sale is
        the only way I will see a used Clark for sale. I see the absence of
        a Clark for sale as a testament to their reliability. One thing the
        newer ones have that mine does not is a rope at the head end of the
        hammock that you can use to pull yourself and sleeping bag back up
        toward that end should you hang a little improperly and do the
        slide. They also have a larger overhead tarp as an option.