Edisto Beach State Park, SC

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
      I know everyone is deeply involved in how to stay warm in winter
      hammock camping right now, but I thought you might like to hear the
      following more-Tropical story. This weekend, Karen and I set up our
      Speer Hammocks between palm trees on a sandy beach on the coast of
      South Carolina! We listened to the awesome pounding surf all night--
      at high tide it was only 200 feet from our hammocks! Although cool,
      rainly and windy, our camp was a welcome reprieve from the brutal
      cold in the mountains and the continuous sound of the surf made for
      fine sleeping. We were at Edisto Beach State Park in SC--yes they do
      have palm trees on the beach and they allow hammocks! While our
      campsite was behind the beach dunes and in the midst of the
      campground, the palm trees were perfect and the bath house and ocean
      were only 10 seconds away! This state park is very popular because
      of the beach camping and reservations are almost always required--
      during the summer, even reservations are hard to get (not all
      campsites have suitable palm trees--ask the reservations clerk). But
      it's well worth the effort and drive if you get the chance. We
      returned home to western NC on Sunday to heavily falling snow!

      This link gives info on Edisto State Park:
      http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/stateparks/parkdetail.asp?
      PID=1298

      ...Ed
      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
        Ed Speer wrote:

        >I know everyone is deeply involved in how to stay warm in winter
        >hammock camping right now, but I thought you might like to hear the
        >following more-Tropical story. This weekend, Karen and I set up our
        >Speer Hammocks between palm trees on a sandy beach on the coast of
        >South Carolina! We listened to the awesome pounding surf all night--
        >at high tide it was only 200 feet from our hammocks! Although cool,
        >rainly and windy, our camp was a welcome reprieve from the brutal
        >cold in the mountains and the continuous sound of the surf made for
        >fine sleeping. We were at Edisto Beach State Park in SC--yes they do
        >have palm trees on the beach and they allow hammocks! While our
        >campsite was behind the beach dunes and in the midst of the
        >campground, the palm trees were perfect and the bath house and ocean
        >were only 10 seconds away! This state park is very popular because
        >of the beach camping and reservations are almost always required--
        >during the summer, even reservations are hard to get (not all
        >campsites have suitable palm trees--ask the reservations clerk). But
        >it's well worth the effort and drive if you get the chance. We
        >returned home to western NC on Sunday to heavily falling snow!
        >
        >This link gives info on Edisto State Park:
        >http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/stateparks/parkdetail.asp?
        >PID=1298
        >
        >...Ed
        >Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Sounds wonderful Ed. Now why don't we have a hammock gathering
        someplace like that next year?

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
          > Sounds wonderful Ed. Now why don't we have a hammock gathering
          > someplace like that next year?
          >
          > Rick

          I am working on it Rick! Our next Hammock Hangers campout is March 27 at an
          established campground in the mountains of western North Carolina. If it
          works out, that location could become a regular event. I'll try for Edisto
          beach in Dec or Jan. I'm also looking for other such sites....Ed
          Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping
        • ciyd01
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
            >I'm also looking for other such sites....Ed

            If you ever get to the other corner of the continent, we have some
            really amazing beaches for camping on the Washington Coast. It's all
            National Park land. We don't have any palm trees, mostly Cedar and
            Hemlock, and the tide pools and sea stacks are incredibly beautiful.
            You may have to string your hammock up on driftwood and deadfall, but
            bring extensions to your tree huggers, our driftwood is about 4 - 6
            feet in diameter! You can see my setup from this fall at a spot
            called Third Beach, which is north of Forks Wa, in the Photos section.

            We do still need a NW Hammock Hangers get together. I've heard
            Pocatello ID in May, is that still a potential? Anybody for beach
            camping?

            ciyd
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
              Ciyd, the Pacific Northwest coast is trully awesome! I kayaked 1,600 miles
              from Vancouver, BC to Glacier Bay in the Inside Passage and used my hammock
              numerous times--often, as you say, tied between driftwood logs! I even used
              some sea clifts as anchor points too. Would love to do it again, but seem
              to be stuck here in the SE for the time being, so someone else will have to
              organize a Hammock Hangers outting for that area--I'll be glad to help in
              any other way I can....Ed