Warm Hammock

  • homeshoppingbargains
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
      Rick,

      How is the testing going on the Warm Hammock? I have been following
      your reports and am interested in making one of these. Any thoughts
      as to modifications to the original concept?

      I have a homemade Speer with the velcro along the sides for the bug
      netting. I was wondering if the padding could be attached to the
      velcro instead of the netting and removed for summer use?

      Also, do you think the double layered hammock still has a use for
      milder weather?

      Thanks,

      John
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
        John wrote:

        >Rick,
        >
        >How is the testing going on the Warm Hammock? I have been following
        >your reports and am interested in making one of these. Any thoughts
        >as to modifications to the original concept?
        >
        >I have a homemade Speer with the velcro along the sides for the bug
        >netting. I was wondering if the padding could be attached to the
        >velcro instead of the netting and removed for summer use?
        >
        >Also, do you think the double layered hammock still has a use for
        >milder weather?

        Hi John,

        Negative to the first question. I believe it is important to have the
        insulation directly against the hammock bottom without pulling it
        tight. This means I need to quilt between the outer layer and the
        hammock itself. In my experience, this is best done with a separate
        hammock body for the WarmHammock. I have used a piece of cloth outside
        the hammock, much like a garlington insulator. It does well when
        attached to the velcro.

        Absolutely, regarding the double bottomed hammock. For normal spring
        and summer temperatures, I believe my favorite hammock will remain the
        double bottom hammock made from 1.1 oz ripstop. If one step colder is
        expected, then carrying a TravelPod will be my defense. For winter
        camping would I carry the WarmHammock. However, where weight is not a
        concern, I use a WarmHammock in my house for sleeping, because it is
        more comfortable than having the pad under me. I may eventually decide
        the same could be true for summer camping as well.

        I guess you can tell I remain ambivalent about the relative merits of
        these two approaches. My experiments have not revealed a clear winner.
        Weight may be slightly in favor of the Warm Hammock. However, it
        sacrifices the option of sleeping on a pad in a shelter or under a tarp
        in a grass field.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
          Rick,

          I tip my hat to you for your Warm Hammock, the insulation you get
          by 'hanging' the PG2 from the bottom of the hammock is impressive.

          Youngblood
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
            Quoting Dave Womble <dpwomble@...>:

            > Rick,
            >
            > I tip my hat to you for your Warm Hammock, the insulation you get
            > by 'hanging' the PG2 from the bottom of the hammock is impressive.
            >
            > Youngblood

            Thanks Dave. Yeah, the hard part was figuring out how to make it so the hammock
            did not squish it. I need to do the same now with down. Lighter, warmer

            Rick
          • John Kennedy
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
              Rick, I have the materials to do my own warmhammock and wanted ask you, did you sew the baffles perpendicular to or parallel to the length of the hammock?  From the picture, it looks like they are parallel to the hammock.  Just wanted to be sure.

              Thanks,
              John

            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2004
                Quoting John Kennedy <mrprez@...>:

                > Rick, I have the materials to do my own warmhammock and wanted ask you, did
                > you sew the baffles perpendicular to or parallel to the length of the
                > hammock? From the picture, it looks like they are parallel to the hammock.
                > Just wanted to be sure.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > John
                John,

                Thanks for your interest.

                The successful design I have completed is to quilt Polarguard II between an
                outer layer and the hammock itself. The quilting is done with quilting ties
                about every 6 inches. To read something about this method, see:

                http://www.litebackpacker.com/make-quilt/index.html

                The important thing is to make sure the outer layer is a pouch, not a flat piece
                of material. I describe on the page how to do that.

                I have built a down warm hammock as well. It was my first version. I did not
                "pouch" the padding and it just draws up tight against the hammock. I now
                realize I can build a successful down insulated hammock with baffles, but I have
                not done so yet.

                The version I did make has baffles parallel to the long edges of the hammock.

                I hope that is possible to understand?

                Have fun!

                risk