Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Displays

  • subypower
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 13 2:44 PM
      hello matt,

      if you would like you can try my HH, i am only 1 to 2 hours from ya (
      i am in baltimore md ) i even have the material to make a speer
      hammock if you want to try one of those.

      white knight
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 14 8:26 PM
        Matt wrote a few days ago:

        > Does anyone happen to know a place where I could try [a hammock] out?

        Matt,

        Well, I did get the information together to help anyone who would like
        to test out hammock camping in an easy and cheap way. I went to
        Walmart and got the materials and put it together this afternoon and
        took some pictures of the process.

        The page can be seen here:

        http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

        and it is also listed on my homepage at www.imrisk.com.

        I hope this makes trying out a hammock accessible and possible for you
        and others who want to see what it is all about without spending much
        money.

        BTW, I have hammocks coming out my ears around here!

        If anyone wants to buy the prototype TestHammock as pictured on the
        page, I would be glad to send it to you for $20 including shipping.
        It will be supplied as is, a (very slightly) used product. Weight of
        this prototype is about 2 pounds - not really ultralight material.

        (Continental US shiping only)

        Rick
      • mattyg225
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 14 10:19 PM
          Rick,

          Thanks for taking the time shopping at wally world. Tomorrow I'm
          definately headed out there to try this out. I really appreciate
          all of the time Ed and everyone has put into setting up this board
          and posting all of this very helpful information.

          Matt

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
          > Matt wrote a few days ago:
          > >
          > > Does anyone happen to know a place where I could try [a hammock]
          out?

          > Matt,
          >
          > Well, I did get the information together to help anyone who would
          like
          > to test out hammock camping in an easy and cheap way. I went to
          > Walmart and got the materials and put it together this afternoon
          and
          > took some pictures of the process.
          >
          > The page can be seen here:
          >
          > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
          >
          > and it is also listed on my homepage at www.imrisk.com.
          >
          > I hope this makes trying out a hammock accessible and possible for
          you
          > and others who want to see what it is all about without spending
          much
          > money.
          >
          > BTW, I have hammocks coming out my ears around here!
          >
          > If anyone wants to buy the prototype TestHammock as pictured on the
          > page, I would be glad to send it to you for $20 including
          shipping.
          > It will be supplied as is, a (very slightly) used product. Weight
          of
          > this prototype is about 2 pounds - not really ultralight material.
          >
          > (Continental US shiping only)
          >
          > Rick
        • mattyg225
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14 10:23 PM
            THanks for the info. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was going to use the
            blanket under the full lenght sleaping pad I usually use and then
            have warm clothing that I bring to sleep in when necessary. This
            way, if it goes poorly, I can always go back to my usual ground
            setup.

            Matt

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:

            > > I'd really like to lie down in one and see what all the hype is
            > > about before shelling out the $150 to $200 these seem to cost.
            > >
            > > Does anyone happen to know a place where I could try one out?
            > >
            > > Also, would a fleece blanket and a waterproof sheet (vapor
            barrier)
            > > combination be warm enough with a sleeping bag used as a
            blanket)
            > > for mid March in the Shenandoah?
            >
            > Hi Matt,
            >
            > Your post is going to cause me to go get the WalMart stock numbers
            for
            > the cheap but workable cloth and webbing to make a $15 minimal
            > hammmock in 10 minutes without a sewing machine. Stand by this
            > weekend for the numbers and instructions.
            >
            > Mid March in the Shenandoahs may be rainy or down to the 20s or
            even
            > teens at night. A fleece blanket and vapor barrier alone is
            likely to
            > be dangerous. Especially under you, it would give less than a
            > sixteenth of an inch of insulation.
            >
            > I suggest you spend some time before your trip working out an
            > ultralite system near your home. An hour in the system always
            teaches
            > me a lot. But I make sure I spend several nights in the system
            before
            > I trust it for the wilds. I always try to make sure I have had
            > exposure to cold and to wind beforehand.
            >
            > You may wish to look at some of the ideas here:
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm
            >
            > Rick
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16 3:17 PM
              Thanks for the idea, I will use it as a scout project.
              Ralph

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
              > Matt wrote a few days ago:
              > >
              > > Does anyone happen to know a place where I could try [a hammock]
              out?

              > Matt,
              >
              > Well, I did get the information together to help anyone who would
              like
              > to test out hammock camping in an easy and cheap way. I went to
              > Walmart and got the materials and put it together this afternoon
              and
              > took some pictures of the process.
              >
              > The page can be seen here:
              >
              > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
              >
              > and it is also listed on my homepage at www.imrisk.com.
              >
              > I hope this makes trying out a hammock accessible and possible for
              you
              > and others who want to see what it is all about without spending
              much
              > money.
              >
              > BTW, I have hammocks coming out my ears around here!
              >
              > If anyone wants to buy the prototype TestHammock as pictured on the
              > page, I would be glad to send it to you for $20 including
              shipping.
              > It will be supplied as is, a (very slightly) used product. Weight
              of
              > this prototype is about 2 pounds - not really ultralight material.
              >
              > (Continental US shiping only)
              >
              > Rick
            • tom peltier
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16 5:35 PM
                Risk wrote:

                >Matt wrote a few days ago:
                >

                >>Does anyone happen to know a place where I could try [a hammock] out?

                I found my first hammock at the military supply store. It is a Banna
                Travel hammock style hammock. I think I paid $25.00 for it. Maybe $35
                I don't remember but not a lot. I still use that hammock if there is no
                bug concern and it is going to be warm sleeping. Good luck.

                Tom
                Pura Vida