RE: Hammock Camping Re: Hand Warmers

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
      Message
      TX Rick, I'll check it out...Ed

      Maybe someone else has a source....Ed

      I did a search... there are several out there, but here is a link to
      one...  A 5 buck experiment might be useful.

      http://campingsurvival.com/ezheatreusha.html

      Rick
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003

        Some can be re-used – some not – depends on how they are activated – ones I use during hunting season can be re-activated but are not as hot as the first time.

        Jodi

        Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 7, 2003
          Ed,
          I've used the same kind. They now come in both 10 & 12 hour versions
          (don't know if the 12s are new and the 10s are old stock). I haven't
          had the problems you did. They heat up hot & stay very warm through
          the night.

          I do the sock treatment if I'm really really cold or just the
          stomach if I'm just really cold. I tried the hat trick but my head
          got too hot & my feet didn't.

          Try some new ones. You can find them pretty cheap so it's worth an
          experiment or two.

          Jim

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer <info@s...>"
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 7, 2003
            Message
            Thanks Jim, I will try some new ones.  The warmth advantages for something that weights only 0.6 oz is well worth some more testing....Ed

            <info@s...> wrote:
            > The hand warmers I tried last night failed--they lasted only 3 hrs
            > (not the 10 hrs advertised on the package)and never got really
            hot.
            > They were bought in 1999, so maybe they're too old or something.
            > They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type.  Each
            pouch
            > is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz.  Has anyone else had a similar
            > experience or tried a different kind?...Ed

          • stephanie
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 8, 2003
              Hi Ed,

              The handwarmers I used were also HeatMax but they are called "foot
              warmups". They weigh 1.5 oz for a 2 pack in packaging.
              The instructions say they will have max heat of 110F for 6 hours but they
              sure felt hotter than that to me. And lasted longer. Now, I remember I had
              two different sized and so the other ones were probably the "hothands",
              which an internet search says lasts up to 10 hours at 135 or so, ..I can't
              find those now though. I'm pretty sure the foot warmer ones were the ones
              I used though. I saw they had a 5 year shelf life. I'd try again if I were
              you.

              The reusable kind of warmers, I'm not positive, but think that they last a
              much shorter time, like an hour or two. I looked on internet but none of
              the places I looked at that sell them mentioned how long they last. Which
              amazes me since that is a very pertinent piece of information and ought to
              be included in ads for the product!

              I slept in my hammock again at about 32 degrees last night. It's the crazy
              crib and used a 3/4 Ridgerest and a 23 inch wide 3/8 inch blue foam pad. I
              have a 15 degree bag that I use as a quilt with the foot zipped up so my
              feet are in a foot pocket.My shoulders and hips are wide and I'm tired of
              trying to stay perfectly positioned to stay on them and keep from getting
              cold spots. I got another piece I use like a tee where my shoulders are so
              it wraps around them. I'm going to try the Target 27 inch wide pad. If
              that doesn't work I'm going to find one of those 40 inch wide pads or else
              cut and paste other pads together to get more width. The Crib has a pad
              sleeve but can only accept up to a 23 inch or so pad. I was warm last
              night though. I tried sleeping in just underwear but then my legs got cold
              even if they barely touched any part of the hammock...so I ended up
              sleeping in long underwear. I bought a little cheap thermometer so that i
              could get an idea of what the temperature actually was when out
              hiking. Unfortunately I think it's useless as it said it was 20 degrees
              and I'm sure it wasn't that cold. There was no ice in my water or anything
              at any rate. maybe it was measuring wind chill as I'm sure the wind chill
              was 20 degrees or less. I was camped in a valley by a creek and the wind
              was gusting, calm one minute, then 20 mph or so the next. You could hear it
              coming up the valley, pretty neat. I had my tarp set up just as a
              windbreak so I could see the stars, but the wind changed direction and so I
              was getting it full force sometimes..i didn't get cold so didn't bother to
              get up and change tarp configuration.

              I also found out how one falls out of a hammock. I've never had any
              problem with feeling like I'm going to tip out of a hammock, and kinda
              didn't understand why people would say that was a concern. Well for some
              reason,something about the way I entered the hammock last night the first
              time was different from what I've been doing. Swung my legs in and
              kaplump!...before I knew what happened I'd flipped over and was on the
              ground on the other side...pretty comical really. The only bad thing is
              that the incident tore the bug netting at the foot of the Crib (which is
              part of a BGT test).

              stephanie

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                  Ed/Rick,

                  I decided to check up on the EZHeat reusable heat packs to see if
                  they were an acceptable substitute for the more traditional
                  disposable hand warmers.

                  I ordered two EZHeat packs from campingsurvival.com and they arrived
                  yesterday. These packs are heavy clear plastic packages 4.75" x 3.5"
                  x .75". They contain a hard white substance and a dark round metal
                  disk about .5" dia. The directions for use are printed on the
                  plastic. It also notes that it contains "sodium acetate (food
                  grade)" and water.

                  To recharge these you are to place it (wrapped in a cloth) in
                  boiling water for 10 minutes. Then after letting it cool you can
                  activate it to release the heat.

                  These appear to be a phase change material that is solid when used
                  and liquefies & turns clear when placed in the boiling water batch.
                  The metal disc then floats in the substance.

                  I boiled one up last night and let it cool overnight. This morning I
                  activated the pouch (you bend the disk through the plastic bag and
                  it magically turns to a crystalline gel that starts to harden as it
                  releases heat --- pretty cool...my guess is that the energy of the
                  disc snapping is enough to kick the liquid material over some
                  threshold that causes the phase change and releases the heat).

                  It heated up rapidly become hot (not extremely hot but not just warm
                  either) to the touch. I placed it between my down jacket and my
                  shirt on my stomach as I would if I were in my sleeping bag. After
                  an hour it was merely warm to the touch and after two it was only
                  marginally warmer than the ambient air (office). After two and a
                  half it was solid and room temperature.

                  My intention was to do a detailed test taking the heat pack's
                  temperature over a period of time to see how it stacked up against
                  traditional metal filings based hand warmers but based on this
                  initial test, it is woefully inadequate for the task of adding extra
                  warmth for a night's sleep in a cold hammock scenario. They will be
                  ok for those time when you want a quick heat pack but not for
                  anything where more than an hour or so of significant warmth is
                  needed.

                  So, you can save yourself the $5 test (although I did buy a neat
                  Lensatic Compass while I was getting these so all is not wasted
                  <grin>).

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                    Message
                    Thanks for the info, Jim.  Looks like the search continues.....Ed

                  • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                      Thanks for the review...

                      Yep, this is the way I remember them too... Not intended to keep you
                      warm all night, but if the toes get cold toward morning, one could
                      snap one and put it down in the foot of the quilt to warm up a little
                      before getting up. Good news is that you can recharge it while
                      cooking coffee water after getting up. Intended for comfort, not
                      survival.

                      Rick

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76