Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9 1:14 PM
      Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
      local store here.
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Fornshell"
      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
      > Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
      > thing burned down there house and sued them.
      >
      > The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
      > maybe lucky for us. Bill
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <slipres@a...> wrote:
      > > Well, good news and bad news. Good news: no fire truck heading
      > > toward my house. Bad news: No matter how I tried to rig it, the
      UCO
      > > candle lantern was simply too big. The best I could get was to
      have
      > > it resting on my nose. So-so news: Just for grins, I zipped in
      the
      > > Clark inner liners enclosing my space. I lit the lantern and
      held it
      > > on my stomach. The inside of the hammock got warm very, very
      > > quickly. Keep in mind, though, that the test was inside my home
      > > which is a tad bit warmer than the snowy outside right now here
      in
      > > WV. I like to carry the lantern anyhow (espcially since I can
      just
      > > remove the little LED attachment and hang it in the hammock
      without
      > > problem) so it's nice to know I could heat up the inside quickly--
      > > just have to be extremely careful. As for the candoil insert
      (mine
      > > is a Northern Lights model), I've purchased three during the past
      > > year. I did a search at ixquick.com and found the first one. I
      > > liked it so much, I looked for it at our local outdoors store and
      > > found the other two . All ran for about $15 and are well worth
      it in
      > > my opinion. I use "paraffin" grade(spelling?)as the lamp oil.
      If
      > > you already have a candle lantern, perhaps you can convice your
      > > significant other it's a good investment as it could serve as
      part of
      > > a romantic dinner by candoil light, eh? The address on the
      > > instructions that came with the insert (yes, I'm a packrat) is
      > > Northern Lights Inc., P.O. Box 3413, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93456.
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell
      > > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > > > Hi Dan, Can you buy a Candoil Insert in the US? I
      > > > found it listed at a place in Canada and the UK, but
      > > > not in the US. Is that a Fire Truck headed toward your
      > > > house? Bill

      > > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
      > > > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9 1:24 PM
        Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
        Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
        just want to email me direct there contact
        information? If not how do you want to do this?
        Thanks. Bill

      • Risk
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9 3:42 PM
          I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
          hammock camper.

          With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
          There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
          source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

          You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
          candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
          try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
          don't post pictures afterward.

          Rick
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9 4:09 PM
            I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
            limiting heat loss.