Condensation

  • jlevans7
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9 11:06 AM
      Good afternoon,
      I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
      insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
      notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
      dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
      thoughts on prevention of this condensation?

      Jackie
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9 2:36 PM
        Jackie,

        My opinion is that your closed cell foam pads act as a vapor
        barrier. Since you are most likely staying in pretty much one
        position all night, it doesn't give your insensible perspiration a
        chance to evaporate like it does when you toss & turn when sleeping
        on the ground. My advice is to try controlling your perspiration.
        One way is to incorporate some wicking fabric against the pads
        (sleeve or wrap). Another way is to try sleeping in different
        positions during the night (back & side). Another way is to wear
        vapor barrier clothing (rain gear). Another approach is to use a
        closed cell foam pad with open cells for the top pad (Zrest,
        Ridgerest, egg crate) and hope the condensation that collects in the
        open cells doesn't wet your bag.

        I suspect that there are many other possible solutions, this web site
        http://chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm describes a homemade
        hammock that has sewn-in breathable synthetic insulation in addition
        to a closed cell foam pad (that was in a sleeve). He was still
        getting condensation so he cut many tiny holes in the closed cell
        foam to make it breathable. I don't know if the tiny hole approach
        would work with stacked pads, but it is an idea worth knowing about.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jlevans7"
        <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
        > Good afternoon,
        > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads
        as
        > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
        > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
        > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
        > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
        >
        > Jackie
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9 3:34 PM
          <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
          > Good afternoon,
          > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
          > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
          > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
          > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
          > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
          >
          > Jackie

          Hi Jackie,

          The closed cell pad is a vapor barrier, so what ever is between me and
          it will get a little moist. What I do is wear clothing that easily
          wicks the moisture and does not feel very wet. I use a coolmax tee
          and nylon shorts. If necessary, I wear a thin fleece pullover and
          pants (or polypropyline long johns).

          I open the bag except for the last couple feet, to use it like a
          quilt, or (better) use a quilt I built. This puts me against the pad
          so the bag's insulation is all doing the job I want it to do. It
          keeps me warm instead of getting wet from my perspiration.

          Perhaps some of these ideas will allow you to experiment on your own
          and find a solution that works well for you.