Re: Pad Insulation

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2004
      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > The comfort and
      > insulative effects are additive so no mater which order they were
      > used doesn't matter except for convenience.

      ideally, you'd put the best insulation near your body, particularly
      if part of your insulation is an air mattress. So, closed cell foam
      on top of the air mattress would feel warmer, even though opposite
      configuration has the same the total insulating value.
    • Debra Weisenstein
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2004
        That's a good suggestion, Ralph. The softer the Thermarest,
        the more comfort, as long as your hip doesn't hit the ground.
        Unfortunately, it's also a compromise as far as insulation
        goes. The closer your hip is to the ground, the less insulation
        under it. I sometimes spend the night letting air out of
        the Thermarest for more comfort, then blowing more air back
        in for warmth. In cold weather, I'll always blow it up hard
        for the best insulation. A good compromise could be an air
        pad inflated softly for comfort and a closed cell foam pad for
        warmth. I'm thinking of carrying closed cell foam for hammock
        insulation and a 1/2 length air mat (maybe a child's inflatable
        pool mat) for ground sleeping comfort.

        DebW

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@y...>

      • canoetrip_2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2004
          Stacking is a REALLY good idea, since I have a long thin one and a
          regular one, and the Big Agnes bag has a sleeve. That might be the
          perfect solution, so I am taking them off the market until I get a
          chance to try them. My bag is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, but
          I am 250 miles away. My Dad has been in very bad health for a couple
          of years and passed away yesterday. He was actually an invalid, and
          he lived a long and, until the last few years, mostly very healthy
          life. He is the one who took me camping for the first time, and gave
          me my love of adventure. I am sure he will be watching over me from
          now on.
          Marsanne

          when I'm
          > out with my scouts (sometimes just the silence wakes me up). I
          > always thought it was me, maybe it's the pad. (I just bought a
          > hammock, haven't had a chance to use it yet.) Before you sell the
          > thermarests, you might want to sty stacking them. (try them at
          home)

        • B D
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2004
            Marsanne:  We are sorry to hear about your loss.  Your love of the outdoors and hammocking is a great tribute to him.  My father was the same and I remember many times heading out in the woods with him. You are on our thoughts.bd

            canoetrip_2000 <firefly@...> wrote:
            Stacking is a REALLY good idea, since I have a long thin one and a
            regular one, and the Big Agnes bag has a sleeve. That might be the
            perfect solution, so I am taking them off the market until I get a
            chance to try them. My bag is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, but
            I am 250 miles away. My Dad has been in very bad health for a couple
            of years and passed away yesterday. He was actually an invalid, and
            he lived a long and, until the last few years, mostly very healthy
            life. He is the one who took me camping for the first time, and gave
            me my love of adventure. I am sure he will be watching over me from
            now on.
            Marsanne

            when I'm
            > out with my scouts (sometimes just the silence wakes me up). I
            > always thought it was me, maybe it's the pad. (I just bought a
            > hammock, haven't had a chance to use it yet.)  Before you sell the
            > thermarests, you might want to sty stacking them. (try them at
            home)

            Do you Yahoo!?
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2004
              Sorry to hear about your Dad Marsanne. I have many similar memories of my
              Dad....Ed
              Moderator, Hammock Camping-L http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping