Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
      I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
      gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
      that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
      about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
      most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
      the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
      in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
      the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
      have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
      tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
      material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
      ago.

      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
      >
      > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
      trees
      > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
      > was working for.
      >
      > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
      > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
      > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
      > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
      >

      > Ralph

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
        Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
        Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
        thing burned down there house and sued them.

        The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
        maybe lucky for us. Bill

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <slipres@a...> wrote:
        > Well, good news and bad news. Good news: no fire truck heading
        > toward my house. Bad news: No matter how I tried to rig it, the UCO
        > candle lantern was simply too big. The best I could get was to have
        > it resting on my nose. So-so news: Just for grins, I zipped in the
        > Clark inner liners enclosing my space. I lit the lantern and held it
        > on my stomach. The inside of the hammock got warm very, very
        > quickly. Keep in mind, though, that the test was inside my home
        > which is a tad bit warmer than the snowy outside right now here in
        > WV. I like to carry the lantern anyhow (espcially since I can just
        > remove the little LED attachment and hang it in the hammock without
        > problem) so it's nice to know I could heat up the inside quickly--I
        > just have to be extremely careful. As for the candoil insert (mine
        > is a Northern Lights model), I've purchased three during the past
        > year. I did a search at ixquick.com and found the first one. I
        > liked it so much, I looked for it at our local outdoors store and
        > found the other two . All ran for about $15 and are well worth it in
        > my opinion. I use "paraffin" grade(spelling?)as the lamp oil. If
        > you already have a candle lantern, perhaps you can convice your
        > significant other it's a good investment as it could serve as part of
        > a romantic dinner by candoil light, eh? The address on the
        > instructions that came with the insert (yes, I'm a packrat) is
        > Northern Lights Inc., P.O. Box 3413, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93456.
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell
        > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi Dan, Can you buy a Candoil Insert in the US? I
        > > found it listed at a place in Canada and the UK, but
        > > not in the US. Is that a Fire Truck headed toward your
        > > house? Bill

        > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
        > > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
          Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
          local store here.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
            Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
            Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
            just want to email me direct there contact
            information? If not how do you want to do this?
            Thanks. Bill

          • Risk
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
              I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
              hammock camper.

              With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
              There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
              source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

              You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
              candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
              try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
              don't post pictures afterward.

              Rick
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                limiting heat loss.