Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

      Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
      in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
      was working for.

      I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
      greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
      warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
      trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

      Ralph

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
      wrote:
      > What??!?!?! *shocked*
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Brian MacMillin
      > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
      > oes@h...

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
        I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
        gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
        that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
        about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
        most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
        the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
        in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
        the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
        have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
        tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
        material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
        ago.

        <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
        > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
        >
        > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
        trees
        > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
        > was working for.
        >
        > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
        > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
        > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
        > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
        >

        > Ralph

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
          Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
          Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
          thing burned down there house and sued them.

          The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
          maybe lucky for us. Bill

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <slipres@a...> wrote:
          > Well, good news and bad news. Good news: no fire truck heading
          > toward my house. Bad news: No matter how I tried to rig it, the UCO
          > candle lantern was simply too big. The best I could get was to have
          > it resting on my nose. So-so news: Just for grins, I zipped in the
          > Clark inner liners enclosing my space. I lit the lantern and held it
          > on my stomach. The inside of the hammock got warm very, very
          > quickly. Keep in mind, though, that the test was inside my home
          > which is a tad bit warmer than the snowy outside right now here in
          > WV. I like to carry the lantern anyhow (espcially since I can just
          > remove the little LED attachment and hang it in the hammock without
          > problem) so it's nice to know I could heat up the inside quickly--I
          > just have to be extremely careful. As for the candoil insert (mine
          > is a Northern Lights model), I've purchased three during the past
          > year. I did a search at ixquick.com and found the first one. I
          > liked it so much, I looked for it at our local outdoors store and
          > found the other two . All ran for about $15 and are well worth it in
          > my opinion. I use "paraffin" grade(spelling?)as the lamp oil. If
          > you already have a candle lantern, perhaps you can convice your
          > significant other it's a good investment as it could serve as part of
          > a romantic dinner by candoil light, eh? The address on the
          > instructions that came with the insert (yes, I'm a packrat) is
          > Northern Lights Inc., P.O. Box 3413, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93456.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell
          > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi Dan, Can you buy a Candoil Insert in the US? I
          > > found it listed at a place in Canada and the UK, but
          > > not in the US. Is that a Fire Truck headed toward your
          > > house? Bill

          > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
          > > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
            Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
            local store here.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
              Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
              Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
              just want to email me direct there contact
              information? If not how do you want to do this?
              Thanks. Bill

            • Risk
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                hammock camper.

                With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                don't post pictures afterward.

                Rick
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                  I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                  limiting heat loss.