RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      Hi, I just tried to burn a piece of scrap Silnylon
      and it would not flame up. It did warp some but I got
      NO flame. Bill

      --- Brian MacMillin <oes@...> wrote:
      > Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY
      > nylon with slowly
      > melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8"
      > away. Anything closer
      > than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame
      > within a second!
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Brian MacMillin
      > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
      > oes@...

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Brian MacMillin
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
        What??!?!?! *shocked*

        --- Brian MacMillin <oes@...> wrote:
        > Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY
        > nylon with slowly
        > melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8"
        > away. Anything closer
        > than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame
        > within a second!
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Brian MacMillin
        > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
        > oes@...

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
          Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

          Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
          in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
          was working for.

          I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
          greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
          warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
          trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

          Ralph

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
          wrote:
          > What??!?!?! *shocked*
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Brian MacMillin
          > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
          > oes@h...

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
            I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
            gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
            that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
            about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
            most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
            the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
            in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
            the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
            have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
            tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
            material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
            ago.

            <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
            > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
            >
            > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
            trees
            > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
            > was working for.
            >
            > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
            > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
            > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
            > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
            >

            > Ralph

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
              Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
              Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
              thing burned down there house and sued them.

              The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
              maybe lucky for us. Bill

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
                local store here.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                  Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
                  Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
                  just want to email me direct there contact
                  information? If not how do you want to do this?
                  Thanks. Bill

                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                    I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                    hammock camper.

                    With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                    There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                    source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                    You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                    candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                    try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                    don't post pictures afterward.

                    Rick
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                      I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                      limiting heat loss.