RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
      Marsanne

      Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
      little flamability test?

      I'm still nervous about whats happening.
    • Brian MacMillin
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
        Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY nylon with slowly
        melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8" away. Anything closer
        than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame within a second!

        Best Regards,
        Brian MacMillin
        OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
        oes@...

        I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
        Marsanne

        Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
        little flamability test?

        I'm still nervous about whats happening.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
          Hi, I just tried to burn a piece of scrap Silnylon
          and it would not flame up. It did warp some but I got
          NO flame. Bill

          --- Brian MacMillin <oes@...> wrote:
          > Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY
          > nylon with slowly
          > melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8"
          > away. Anything closer
          > than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame
          > within a second!
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Brian MacMillin
          > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
          > oes@...

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • Brian MacMillin
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
            What??!?!?! *shocked*

            --- Brian MacMillin <oes@...> wrote:
            > Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY
            > nylon with slowly
            > melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8"
            > away. Anything closer
            > than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame
            > within a second!
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > Brian MacMillin
            > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
            > oes@...

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
              Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

              Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
              in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
              was working for.

              I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
              greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
              warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
              trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

              Ralph

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
              wrote:
              > What??!?!?! *shocked*
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Brian MacMillin
              > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
              > oes@h...

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
                I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
                gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
                that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
                about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
                most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
                the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
                in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
                the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
                have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
                tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
                material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
                ago.

                <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
                >
                > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
                trees
                > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                > was working for.
                >
                > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
                >

                > Ralph

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                  Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
                  Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
                  thing burned down there house and sued them.

                  The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
                  maybe lucky for us. Bill

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                    Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
                    local store here.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                      Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
                      Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
                      just want to email me direct there contact
                      information? If not how do you want to do this?
                      Thanks. Bill

                    • Risk
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                        I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                        hammock camper.

                        With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                        There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                        source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                        You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                        candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                        try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                        don't post pictures afterward.

                        Rick
                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                          I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                          limiting heat loss.