Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
      burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
      lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
      cast anyone else is interested.
      http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html
      They list a price of $18.99 which may be Canadian
      Dollars. I have thought about using one of those 10 or
      12 hour Heat Packs to see if they would warm up things
      any. I haven't been anywhere cold enough to need more
      than my Sleeping Pads and a good Down Sleeping bag
      inside my hammock yet this winter. Cold in South Texas
      is seldom below 30 degrees. Bill

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
        Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
        little flamability test?

        I'm still nervous about whats happening.

        Also I think I saw the oil replacements at REI? Or maybe Kirkhams in
        Salt Lake.

        Ralph

        I still think candles are an innovative way to initiate a new type
        of burning man :]

        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
        > burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
        > lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
        > cast anyone else is interested.
        > http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html

      • firefly
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
          I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
          Marsanne

          Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
          little flamability test?

          I'm still nervous about whats happening.
        • Brian MacMillin
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
            Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY nylon with slowly
            melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8" away. Anything closer
            than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame within a second!

            Best Regards,
            Brian MacMillin
            OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
            oes@...

            I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
            Marsanne

            Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
            little flamability test?

            I'm still nervous about whats happening.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
              Hi, I just tried to burn a piece of scrap Silnylon
              and it would not flame up. It did warp some but I got
              NO flame. Bill

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                What??!?!?! *shocked*

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                  Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

                  Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
                  in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                  was working for.

                  I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                  greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                  warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                  trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

                  Ralph

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
                  wrote:
                  > What??!?!?! *shocked*
                  >
                  > Best Regards,
                  > Brian MacMillin
                  > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                  > oes@h...

                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
                    I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
                    gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
                    that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
                    about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
                    most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
                    the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
                    in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
                    the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
                    have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
                    tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
                    material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
                    ago.

                    <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                    > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
                    >
                    > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
                    trees
                    > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                    > was working for.
                    >
                    > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                    > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                    > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                    > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
                    >

                    > Ralph

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                      Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
                      Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
                      thing burned down there house and sued them.

                      The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
                      maybe lucky for us. Bill

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                        Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
                        local store here.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                          Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
                          Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
                          just want to email me direct there contact
                          information? If not how do you want to do this?
                          Thanks. Bill

                        • Risk
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                            I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                            hammock camper.

                            With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                            There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                            source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                            You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                            candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                            try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                            don't post pictures afterward.

                            Rick
                          • Dan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                              I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                              limiting heat loss.