Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      Well, good news and bad news. Good news: no fire truck heading
      toward my house. Bad news: No matter how I tried to rig it, the UCO
      candle lantern was simply too big. The best I could get was to have
      it resting on my nose. So-so news: Just for grins, I zipped in the
      Clark inner liners enclosing my space. I lit the lantern and held it
      on my stomach. The inside of the hammock got warm very, very
      quickly. Keep in mind, though, that the test was inside my home
      which is a tad bit warmer than the snowy outside right now here in
      WV. I like to carry the lantern anyhow (espcially since I can just
      remove the little LED attachment and hang it in the hammock without
      problem) so it's nice to know I could heat up the inside quickly--I
      just have to be extremely careful. As for the candoil insert (mine
      is a Northern Lights model), I've purchased three during the past
      year. I did a search at ixquick.com and found the first one. I
      liked it so much, I looked for it at our local outdoors store and
      found the other two . All ran for about $15 and are well worth it in
      my opinion. I use "paraffin" grade(spelling?)as the lamp oil. If
      you already have a candle lantern, perhaps you can convice your
      significant other it's a good investment as it could serve as part of
      a romantic dinner by candoil light, eh? The address on the
      instructions that came with the insert (yes, I'm a packrat) is
      Northern Lights Inc., P.O. Box 3413, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93456.

      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Dan, Can you buy a Candoil Insert in the US? I
      > found it listed at a place in Canada and the UK, but
      > not in the US. Is that a Fire Truck headed toward your
      > house? Bill

      > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
        Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
        burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
        lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
        cast anyone else is interested.
        http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html
        They list a price of $18.99 which may be Canadian
        Dollars. I have thought about using one of those 10 or
        12 hour Heat Packs to see if they would warm up things
        any. I haven't been anywhere cold enough to need more
        than my Sleeping Pads and a good Down Sleeping bag
        inside my hammock yet this winter. Cold in South Texas
        is seldom below 30 degrees. Bill

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
          Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
          little flamability test?

          I'm still nervous about whats happening.

          Also I think I saw the oil replacements at REI? Or maybe Kirkhams in
          Salt Lake.

          Ralph

          I still think candles are an innovative way to initiate a new type
          of burning man :]

          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
          > burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
          > lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
          > cast anyone else is interested.
          > http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html

        • firefly
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
            I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
            Marsanne

            Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
            little flamability test?

            I'm still nervous about whats happening.
          • Brian MacMillin
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
              Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY nylon with slowly
              melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8" away. Anything closer
              than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame within a second!

              Best Regards,
              Brian MacMillin
              OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
              oes@...

              I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
              Marsanne

              Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
              little flamability test?

              I'm still nervous about whats happening.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                Hi, I just tried to burn a piece of scrap Silnylon
                and it would not flame up. It did warp some but I got
                NO flame. Bill

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                  What??!?!?! *shocked*

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                    Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

                    Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
                    in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                    was working for.

                    I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                    greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                    warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                    trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

                    Ralph

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > What??!?!?! *shocked*
                    >
                    > Best Regards,
                    > Brian MacMillin
                    > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                    > oes@h...

                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
                      I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
                      gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
                      that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
                      about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
                      most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
                      the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
                      in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
                      the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
                      have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
                      tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
                      material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
                      ago.

                      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                      > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
                      >
                      > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
                      trees
                      > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                      > was working for.
                      >
                      > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                      > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                      > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                      > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
                      >

                      > Ralph

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                        Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
                        Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
                        thing burned down there house and sued them.

                        The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
                        maybe lucky for us. Bill

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                          Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
                          local store here.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
                            Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
                            just want to email me direct there contact
                            information? If not how do you want to do this?
                            Thanks. Bill

                          • Risk
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                              I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                              hammock camper.

                              With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                              There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                              source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                              You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                              candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                              try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                              don't post pictures afterward.

                              Rick
                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                                I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                                limiting heat loss.