Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      Hi Dan, Can you buy a Candoil Insert in the US? I
      found it listed at a place in Canada and the UK, but
      not in the US. Is that a Fire Truck headed toward your
      house? Bill

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
        Well, good news and bad news. Good news: no fire truck heading
        toward my house. Bad news: No matter how I tried to rig it, the UCO
        candle lantern was simply too big. The best I could get was to have
        it resting on my nose. So-so news: Just for grins, I zipped in the
        Clark inner liners enclosing my space. I lit the lantern and held it
        on my stomach. The inside of the hammock got warm very, very
        quickly. Keep in mind, though, that the test was inside my home
        which is a tad bit warmer than the snowy outside right now here in
        WV. I like to carry the lantern anyhow (espcially since I can just
        remove the little LED attachment and hang it in the hammock without
        problem) so it's nice to know I could heat up the inside quickly--I
        just have to be extremely careful. As for the candoil insert (mine
        is a Northern Lights model), I've purchased three during the past
        year. I did a search at ixquick.com and found the first one. I
        liked it so much, I looked for it at our local outdoors store and
        found the other two . All ran for about $15 and are well worth it in
        my opinion. I use "paraffin" grade(spelling?)as the lamp oil. If
        you already have a candle lantern, perhaps you can convice your
        significant other it's a good investment as it could serve as part of
        a romantic dinner by candoil light, eh? The address on the
        instructions that came with the insert (yes, I'm a packrat) is
        Northern Lights Inc., P.O. Box 3413, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93456.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
          Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
          burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
          lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
          cast anyone else is interested.
          http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html
          They list a price of $18.99 which may be Canadian
          Dollars. I have thought about using one of those 10 or
          12 hour Heat Packs to see if they would warm up things
          any. I haven't been anywhere cold enough to need more
          than my Sleeping Pads and a good Down Sleeping bag
          inside my hammock yet this winter. Cold in South Texas
          is seldom below 30 degrees. Bill

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
            Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
            little flamability test?

            I'm still nervous about whats happening.

            Also I think I saw the oil replacements at REI? Or maybe Kirkhams in
            Salt Lake.

            Ralph

            I still think candles are an innovative way to initiate a new type
            of burning man :]

            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
            > burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
            > lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
            > cast anyone else is interested.
            > http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html

          • firefly
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
              I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
              Marsanne

              Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
              little flamability test?

              I'm still nervous about whats happening.
            • Brian MacMillin
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY nylon with slowly
                melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8" away. Anything closer
                than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame within a second!

                Best Regards,
                Brian MacMillin
                OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                oes@...

                I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
                Marsanne

                Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
                little flamability test?

                I'm still nervous about whats happening.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                  Hi, I just tried to burn a piece of scrap Silnylon
                  and it would not flame up. It did warp some but I got
                  NO flame. Bill

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                    What??!?!?! *shocked*

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                      Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

                      Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
                      in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                      was working for.

                      I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                      greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                      warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                      trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

                      Ralph

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > What??!?!?! *shocked*
                      >
                      > Best Regards,
                      > Brian MacMillin
                      > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                      > oes@h...

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
                        I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
                        gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
                        that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
                        about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
                        most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
                        the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
                        in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
                        the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
                        have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
                        tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
                        material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
                        ago.

                        <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                        > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
                        >
                        > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
                        trees
                        > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                        > was working for.
                        >
                        > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                        > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                        > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                        > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
                        >

                        > Ralph

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Bill Fornshell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                          Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
                          Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
                          thing burned down there house and sued them.

                          The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
                          maybe lucky for us. Bill

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
                            local store here.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                              Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
                              Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
                              just want to email me direct there contact
                              information? If not how do you want to do this?
                              Thanks. Bill

                            • Risk
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                                I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                                hammock camper.

                                With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                                There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                                source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                                You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                                candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                                try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                                don't post pictures afterward.

                                Rick
                              • Dan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                                  I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                                  limiting heat loss.