Hammock + Candle Lantern = ?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
      I've been watching the posts on the candle lantern aspect with great
      interest. I agree they are fantastic little heaters for enclosed
      spaces. Simply sitting cross-legged with the lantern near my knees
      while enclosing the lantern and myself with a blanket results in a
      very quick warming if I'm cold. Although I have candles for my
      lantern, I often use something called a "candoil insert" which makes
      the lantern a small oil lantern instead. You get about nine hours
      burn time with the insert. I use the purest lantern oil I can find
      to reduce odor (one aspect I don't worry about with candles). My
      main hammock is a Clark Deluxe Jungle Hammock and so I don't have the
      ridge line most folks here have. There is a place to hang glasses, a
      light, or whatever near and above one's head in the Clark. I do have
      a small LED light which integrates with the bottom of my UCO candle
      lantern but it obviously is not a heat source. The problem with the
      lantern in my Clark is that it would hang too low unless I reduce the
      length of the chain attached to the lantern bail. If I raise the
      lantern too high, my concern is melting the bug mesh. I believe a
      viable alternative would be to use a mini-candle lantern (the kind
      using tea light(?) candles). Regardless of which lantern used, since
      we're talking using it inside the Clark, use would be limited to
      warming up the inside then extinguishing the flame--greedy me would
      rather not share much oxygen with the candle. I think I just may try
      a quick test here in the house near help and a fire extinguisher.
      Wish me luck!
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
        Hi Dan, Can you buy a Candoil Insert in the US? I
        found it listed at a place in Canada and the UK, but
        not in the US. Is that a Fire Truck headed toward your
        house? Bill

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
          Well, good news and bad news. Good news: no fire truck heading
          toward my house. Bad news: No matter how I tried to rig it, the UCO
          candle lantern was simply too big. The best I could get was to have
          it resting on my nose. So-so news: Just for grins, I zipped in the
          Clark inner liners enclosing my space. I lit the lantern and held it
          on my stomach. The inside of the hammock got warm very, very
          quickly. Keep in mind, though, that the test was inside my home
          which is a tad bit warmer than the snowy outside right now here in
          WV. I like to carry the lantern anyhow (espcially since I can just
          remove the little LED attachment and hang it in the hammock without
          problem) so it's nice to know I could heat up the inside quickly--I
          just have to be extremely careful. As for the candoil insert (mine
          is a Northern Lights model), I've purchased three during the past
          year. I did a search at ixquick.com and found the first one. I
          liked it so much, I looked for it at our local outdoors store and
          found the other two . All ran for about $15 and are well worth it in
          my opinion. I use "paraffin" grade(spelling?)as the lamp oil. If
          you already have a candle lantern, perhaps you can convice your
          significant other it's a good investment as it could serve as part of
          a romantic dinner by candoil light, eh? The address on the
          instructions that came with the insert (yes, I'm a packrat) is
          Northern Lights Inc., P.O. Box 3413, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93456.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
            Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
            burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
            lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
            cast anyone else is interested.
            http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html
            They list a price of $18.99 which may be Canadian
            Dollars. I have thought about using one of those 10 or
            12 hour Heat Packs to see if they would warm up things
            any. I haven't been anywhere cold enough to need more
            than my Sleeping Pads and a good Down Sleeping bag
            inside my hammock yet this winter. Cold in South Texas
            is seldom below 30 degrees. Bill

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
              Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
              little flamability test?

              I'm still nervous about whats happening.

              Also I think I saw the oil replacements at REI? Or maybe Kirkhams in
              Salt Lake.

              Ralph

              I still think candles are an innovative way to initiate a new type
              of burning man :]

              <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Dan, Thanks for the information. Glad you didn't
              > burn down your house, yet. The place in Canada that
              > lists the Candoil is Northward Bound, Ontario?? In
              > cast anyone else is interested.
              > http://www.northwardbound.com/campaccessories.html

            • firefly
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
                Marsanne

                Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
                little flamability test?

                I'm still nervous about whats happening.
              • Brian MacMillin
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                  Ok, I singe all of my silnylon before sewing it. ANY nylon with slowly
                  melt if exposed to heat from say, a candle from 8" away. Anything closer
                  than that and it spontaneously bursts into flame within a second!

                  Best Regards,
                  Brian MacMillin
                  OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                  oes@...

                  I think you have all just lost your flippin' minds! <G>
                  Marsanne

                  Could one of you guys with a scrap of material hanging around try a
                  little flamability test?

                  I'm still nervous about whats happening.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                    Hi, I just tried to burn a piece of scrap Silnylon
                    and it would not flame up. It did warp some but I got
                    NO flame. Bill

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                      What??!?!?! *shocked*

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
                        Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.

                        Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas trees
                        in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                        was working for.

                        I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                        greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                        warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                        trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?

                        Ralph

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > What??!?!?! *shocked*
                        >
                        > Best Regards,
                        > Brian MacMillin
                        > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
                        > oes@h...

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8, 2004
                          I favor the hot water bottle. But, nothing ventured, nothing
                          gained. I now know the candle will heat up the Clark quickly and
                          that I would have to hold it rather than hang it. I'm not concerned
                          about lack of oxygen because use would be for a few minutes at the
                          most--that's how fast the enclosure heated up. Another problem with
                          the lantern is I'd have to let the top of it cool before I stuff it
                          in one of the hammock's pockets. You don't have that problem with
                          the water bottle (or Nalgene bottle of hot water) and I suspect you'd
                          have less heating time with that water in the morning for your cup of
                          tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Interesting results on the burning
                          material test. Reinforces my decision to stop smoking thirty years
                          ago.

                          <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                          > Ok the scientist in me is satisfied, I think.
                          >
                          > Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped using real christmas
                          trees
                          > in my house after doing some fire retardant trials for a company I
                          > was working for.
                          >
                          > I still feel a disposable hand warmer, a hot water bottle, A hot
                          > greasy chicken dinner or more insulation would do more to keep you
                          > warm. Mind you I like candles (a lot) and I use them in my snow
                          > trenches to keep warm. Has anyone worried about carbon monoxide?
                          >

                          > Ralph

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Bill Fornshell
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Hi Dan, Well I just called the place in Canada about the Candoil
                            Insert. The company went out of business after someone testing the
                            thing burned down there house and sued them.

                            The truth is that the company is no longer in business. To bad. Or
                            maybe lucky for us. Bill

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                              Bummer. If you really really want one, I can get you one at the
                              local store here.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                                Hi Dan, Yes, I would like to get one to play with.
                                Does the store there mail order stuff. If yes, do you
                                just want to email me direct there contact
                                information? If not how do you want to do this?
                                Thanks. Bill

                              • Risk
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                                  I've also been reading the posts about using a candle to help heat a
                                  hammock camper.

                                  With my limited experience, this seems like a very very very bad idea.
                                  There are lots of ways to stay warm without introducing an ignition
                                  source in a non-fire-retardant sleep system.

                                  You know not to smoke in the hammock. I just had to post this about
                                  candles BEFORE one of you catches your hammock on fire. Please don't
                                  try a candle in/under your hammock to stay warm. If you do, please
                                  don't post pictures afterward.

                                  Rick
                                • Dan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 9, 2004
                                    I agree. There are much safer ways to heat, or rather, stay warm by
                                    limiting heat loss.