Re: new thought on warmth ( maybe )

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
      A chemical heater might be ok, but I think I'd bring it inside and
      use it to keep feet & lower legs warm.

      When it comes to insulation below you, I think it is all about
      weight. A candle lantern is about 10oz isn't it? That weight
      translates to a fair amount of down insulation (for example) that
      would be warmer and safer in my opinion.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "subypower" <a9144me@a...>
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
        Good idea Whiteknitght! Cavers have used candles for warmth beneath
        hammocks surrounded by plastic tube tents for years. Works extremely well
        in the no wind conditions of a cave, but could be a problem in the outdoors.
        I've been pondering this technique for some time and think it would probably
        work OK under or inside the large nearly enlcosed tarps or hammock tents
        like Dave or Chet have been experimenting with--candle placed on the ground
        beneath or beside hammock. I even bought a candle the other day, but just
        haven't found the time to try this yet....Ed

      • subypower
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
          the way i was thinking was a double bottom hammock where the bottom
          layer hangs down about 18 inches and is staked out 2 or three times
          per side. hopefully the stakes would be enough to prevent the bag
          from deflating in the wind ( thinking 10 mph or less ). then just a
          small air vent on the bottom to allow some o2 in.

          white knight

          > Good idea Whiteknitght! Cavers have used candles for warmth beneath
          > hammocks surrounded by plastic tube tents for years. Works
          extremely well
          > in the no wind conditions of a cave, but could be a problem in the
          outdoors.
          > I've been pondering this technique for some time and think it would
          probably
          > work OK under or inside the large nearly enlcosed tarps or hammock
          tents
          > like Dave or Chet have been experimenting with--candle placed on
          the ground
          > beneath or beside hammock. I even bought a candle the other day,
          but just
          > haven't found the time to try this yet....Ed

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
            So I'm thinkin How flame retardant are these flys, tacos, peapods,
            tube tents and every thing else in the hammock?

            How hard is it to clean up the wax when (not if) it dumps.

            How hard is it to exit a flaming hammock if the worst possible thing
            happens?

            Or am I missing something on the safety of candles in what is
            effectivly an extremely small tent made of extremely flamable
            material?

            I hope you guys can educate me? right now I'm concerned about your
            sanity and safety.

            Ralph

            wrote:
            > has any body tried a GI type bag hanging from the bottom of a
            hammock
            > with a candle lantern in it. it would not be hard to do safely
            with a
            > light cage ( think 2 rings 6 inches wide ) around it. it should
            give
            > a fair amount of heat out, when i tent camp in the winter my
            candle
            > lantern heats my tent up 5 to 10 degrees before i get in. and i
            would
            > think it should warm up the "bag" at least 10 degrees plus the
            heat
            > rising to the bottom of the hammock ( convection )
            >
            > this i would think could even eliminate the need for air bags in
            the
            > GI but you would need to either weight or tie down the bottom of
            the
            > GI, and provide tons of warmth
            >
            > white knight
            >
            > ps all people waiting for under quilts it is time to order your
            down,
            > 9 ozs of 800 fp for a full ( will be some left over ) or 12 ozs of
            > 650 fp. and they start shipping late next week ( in order of
            > receiving deposits ) i will email each when ready to ship for the
            > balance due, but will ship on day of email
          • subypower
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
              well that is the reason for a candle lantern, they cant leak wax.
              also they are sheilded from the wind and the flame cant excape to
              light anything on fire by design. they do get hot enough to melt
              nylon, but that is why 2 loops 6 inches in dia would prevent the bag
              from hitting the lantern, even if you tried.

              white knight
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
                OOOK I'll wait for you guys to test it out before I try it. Your
                candle lanterns must be a lot more stable than mine. What type?

                Ralph

                wrote:
                > well that is the reason for a candle lantern, they cant leak wax.
                > also they are sheilded from the wind and the flame cant excape to
                > light anything on fire by design. they do get hot enough to melt
                > nylon, but that is why 2 loops 6 inches in dia would prevent the
                bag
                > from hitting the lantern, even if you tried.
                >
                > white knight
              • subypower
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
                  mine is a standard candle lantern i will email you a pic and you
                  would have to hang it from a line on the top layer of the hammock