new thought on warmth ( maybe )

  • subypower
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2004
      has any body tried a GI type bag hanging from the bottom of a hammock
      with a candle lantern in it. it would not be hard to do safely with a
      light cage ( think 2 rings 6 inches wide ) around it. it should give
      a fair amount of heat out, when i tent camp in the winter my candle
      lantern heats my tent up 5 to 10 degrees before i get in. and i would
      think it should warm up the "bag" at least 10 degrees plus the heat
      rising to the bottom of the hammock ( convection )

      this i would think could even eliminate the need for air bags in the
      GI but you would need to either weight or tie down the bottom of the
      GI, and provide tons of warmth

      white knight

      ps all people waiting for under quilts it is time to order your down,
      9 ozs of 800 fp for a full ( will be some left over ) or 12 ozs of
      650 fp. and they start shipping late next week ( in order of
      receiving deposits ) i will email each when ready to ship for the
      balance due, but will ship on day of email
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
        A chemical heater might be ok, but I think I'd bring it inside and
        use it to keep feet & lower legs warm.

        When it comes to insulation below you, I think it is all about
        weight. A candle lantern is about 10oz isn't it? That weight
        translates to a fair amount of down insulation (for example) that
        would be warmer and safer in my opinion.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "subypower" <a9144me@a...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
          Good idea Whiteknitght! Cavers have used candles for warmth beneath
          hammocks surrounded by plastic tube tents for years. Works extremely well
          in the no wind conditions of a cave, but could be a problem in the outdoors.
          I've been pondering this technique for some time and think it would probably
          work OK under or inside the large nearly enlcosed tarps or hammock tents
          like Dave or Chet have been experimenting with--candle placed on the ground
          beneath or beside hammock. I even bought a candle the other day, but just
          haven't found the time to try this yet....Ed

        • subypower
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
            the way i was thinking was a double bottom hammock where the bottom
            layer hangs down about 18 inches and is staked out 2 or three times
            per side. hopefully the stakes would be enough to prevent the bag
            from deflating in the wind ( thinking 10 mph or less ). then just a
            small air vent on the bottom to allow some o2 in.

            white knight

            > Good idea Whiteknitght! Cavers have used candles for warmth beneath
            > hammocks surrounded by plastic tube tents for years. Works
            extremely well
            > in the no wind conditions of a cave, but could be a problem in the
            outdoors.
            > I've been pondering this technique for some time and think it would
            probably
            > work OK under or inside the large nearly enlcosed tarps or hammock
            tents
            > like Dave or Chet have been experimenting with--candle placed on
            the ground
            > beneath or beside hammock. I even bought a candle the other day,
            but just
            > haven't found the time to try this yet....Ed

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
              So I'm thinkin How flame retardant are these flys, tacos, peapods,
              tube tents and every thing else in the hammock?

              How hard is it to clean up the wax when (not if) it dumps.

              How hard is it to exit a flaming hammock if the worst possible thing
              happens?

              Or am I missing something on the safety of candles in what is
              effectivly an extremely small tent made of extremely flamable
              material?

              I hope you guys can educate me? right now I'm concerned about your
              sanity and safety.

              Ralph

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
                well that is the reason for a candle lantern, they cant leak wax.
                also they are sheilded from the wind and the flame cant excape to
                light anything on fire by design. they do get hot enough to melt
                nylon, but that is why 2 loops 6 inches in dia would prevent the bag
                from hitting the lantern, even if you tried.

                white knight
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
                  OOOK I'll wait for you guys to test it out before I try it. Your
                  candle lanterns must be a lot more stable than mine. What type?

                  Ralph

                  wrote:
                  > well that is the reason for a candle lantern, they cant leak wax.
                  > also they are sheilded from the wind and the flame cant excape to
                  > light anything on fire by design. they do get hot enough to melt
                  > nylon, but that is why 2 loops 6 inches in dia would prevent the
                  bag
                  > from hitting the lantern, even if you tried.
                  >
                  > white knight
                • subypower
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2004
                    mine is a standard candle lantern i will email you a pic and you
                    would have to hang it from a line on the top layer of the hammock