Tom wants to be warm

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <tjarrell@c...> wrote:
      > Recently purchased a Hennessy Expedition ASYM. Interested to learn
      tricks in using the hammock and techniques for cold weather camping.
      I am a Boy Scout leader and will take it into the field for the first
      time in mid-March.
      > Tom

      Hi Tom,

      I read some of the other comments. They are all worth pursuing. In
      the Hammock Newsletters written by Ed Speer, there is a section at the
      end of the newsletter every month on staying warm in a hammock.

      I'd like to say I have written a summary introduction on staying warm,
      but I have not. The best summary I know of is in Ed's fine book,
      which I am sure he would be willing to sell you. (It really is worth
      the money in my opinion!)

      But here is a little summary of staying warm in a hammock - very basic
      - just enough to get you started.

      I find that I need to do something to stay warm in a hammock in just
      about every weather. Even with air in the 80s at night I need some
      protection. This usually starts under me instead of over me.

      It might seem strange, but in a hammock, the main places I loose heat
      are beneath me instead of over me. This is true from 80 F all the way
      to -10 F. So the first thing I do is to find a way to get insulation
      under me.

      Almost any sort of sleeping bag will fail at temperatures below 55 or
      so because the sleeping bag compresses enough that there is not much
      insulation distance from my skin to the outside. Therefore, the first
      protection I usually go for is a closed cell pad under me. It works
      great. It will work in your HH (Hennesy Hammock) very well.

      Then, to make the hammock easier to use, most of us will use either a
      quilt with a foot box or a sleeping bag unzipped most of the way and
      used as a quilt over us.

      Going beyond this can get quite complex and fascinating. I have found
      success with all the following:

      - building a pocket to hold the pad (double bottom hammock)
      - using insulation hung under the hammock, but against it
      (underquilt and WarmHammock)
      - surrounding the hammock with an envelope to hold in warmth
      (PeaPod, Garlington Insulator, Taco Insulator, TravelPod)
      - combining all the above is ways meant to keep us warm while keepingg
      our backpacking load light.

      I have written up several of my experiment and a lot about many of
      these ways to keep warm on my home page.

      Another resource for this whole topic of stayingg warm is in the
      HammockWiki, a group written encyclopedia of hammmock camping. The
      article on keepingg warm is here:

      Welcome aboard. Hope to meet you one day down the trail.