Re: [Hammock Camping] New Hammock Camper

  • Carl Iobst
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
      Greetings Tom,
      My suggestion is to go to Sgt. Rock's hammock camping
      101 at http://www.hikinghq.net/, Shane Steinkamp's
      site http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/ & Ed
      Speer's hammock camping newsletter site
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm .
      If you have any specific questions please don't
      hesitate to ask any of us.
      Cordially,
      CEHI

      --- tjarrell@... wrote:
      > Recently purchased a Hennessy Expedition ASYM.
      > Interested to learn tricks in using the hammock and
      > techniques for cold weather camping. I am a Boy
      > Scout leader and will take it into the field for the
      > first time in mid-March.
      >
      > Tom

      =====
      "Live Life Real not virtual!"
      ('Real' refers to Karl Pribram's Holographic Pradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-Locality

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
        Hi Tom and welcome. Our archives have a lot of info on cold weather
        hammocking. However, there is also a lot of compiled info available. Check
        out the free Hammock Camping Newsletters at:
        http://www.hammockcamping.com/NEWS
        Each newsletter contains a large list of useful web links related to How To
        Stay Warm and several newsletters have feature articles on the same. In
        addition, I've posted a number of handy free reports at:
        http://www.hammockcamping.com scroll to the bottom of the home page to find
        the free reports. Of course, my book, Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide
        to greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom has an entire chapter on How To
        Stay Warm in a hammock--the book can be ordered at:
        http://www.hammockcamping.com
        These should give you some ideas...Ed
        Moderator, Hammock Camping-L http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

      • Risk
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <tjarrell@c...> wrote:
          > Recently purchased a Hennessy Expedition ASYM. Interested to learn
          tricks in using the hammock and techniques for cold weather camping.
          I am a Boy Scout leader and will take it into the field for the first
          time in mid-March.

          > Tom

          Hi Tom,

          I read some of the other comments. They are all worth pursuing. In
          the Hammock Newsletters written by Ed Speer, there is a section at the
          end of the newsletter every month on staying warm in a hammock.

          I'd like to say I have written a summary introduction on staying warm,
          but I have not. The best summary I know of is in Ed's fine book,
          which I am sure he would be willing to sell you. (It really is worth
          the money in my opinion!)

          But here is a little summary of staying warm in a hammock - very basic
          - just enough to get you started.

          I find that I need to do something to stay warm in a hammock in just
          about every weather. Even with air in the 80s at night I need some
          protection. This usually starts under me instead of over me.

          It might seem strange, but in a hammock, the main places I loose heat
          are beneath me instead of over me. This is true from 80 F all the way
          to -10 F. So the first thing I do is to find a way to get insulation
          under me.

          Almost any sort of sleeping bag will fail at temperatures below 55 or
          so because the sleeping bag compresses enough that there is not much
          insulation distance from my skin to the outside. Therefore, the first
          protection I usually go for is a closed cell pad under me. It works
          great. It will work in your HH (Hennesy Hammock) very well.

          Then, to make the hammock easier to use, most of us will use either a
          quilt with a foot box or a sleeping bag unzipped most of the way and
          used as a quilt over us.

          Going beyond this can get quite complex and fascinating. I have found
          success with all the following:

          - building a pocket to hold the pad (double bottom hammock)
          - using insulation hung under the hammock, but against it
          (underquilt and WarmHammock)
          - surrounding the hammock with an envelope to hold in warmth
          (PeaPod, Garlington Insulator, Taco Insulator, TravelPod)
          - combining all the above is ways meant to keep us warm while keepingg
          our backpacking load light.

          I have written up several of my experiment and a lot about many of
          these ways to keep warm on my home page.

          See:

          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

          and:

          http://www.imrisk.com

          Another resource for this whole topic of stayingg warm is in the
          HammockWiki, a group written encyclopedia of hammmock camping. The
          article on keepingg warm is here:

          http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm

          Welcome aboard. Hope to meet you one day down the trail.