  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
      Recently purchased a Hennessy Expedition ASYM. Interested to learn tricks in using the hammock and techniques for cold weather camping. I am a Boy Scout leader and will take it into the field for the first time in mid-March.

      Tom
    • Carl Iobst
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
        Greetings Tom,
        My suggestion is to go to Sgt. Rock's hammock camping
        101 at http://www.hikinghq.net/, Shane Steinkamp's
        site http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/ & Ed
        Speer's hammock camping newsletter site
        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm .
        If you have any specific questions please don't
        hesitate to ask any of us.
        Cordially,
        CEHI

        --- tjarrell@... wrote:
        > Recently purchased a Hennessy Expedition ASYM.
        > Interested to learn tricks in using the hammock and
        > techniques for cold weather camping. I am a Boy
        > Scout leader and will take it into the field for the
        > first time in mid-March.
        >
        > Tom

        =====
        "Live Life Real not virtual!"
        ('Real' refers to Karl Pribram's Holographic Pradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-Locality

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
          Hi Tom and welcome. Our archives have a lot of info on cold weather
          hammocking. However, there is also a lot of compiled info available. Check
          out the free Hammock Camping Newsletters at:
          http://www.hammockcamping.com/NEWS
          Each newsletter contains a large list of useful web links related to How To
          Stay Warm and several newsletters have feature articles on the same. In
          addition, I've posted a number of handy free reports at:
          http://www.hammockcamping.com scroll to the bottom of the home page to find
          the free reports. Of course, my book, Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide
          to greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom has an entire chapter on How To
          Stay Warm in a hammock--the book can be ordered at:
          http://www.hammockcamping.com
          These should give you some ideas...Ed
          Moderator, Hammock Camping-L http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

        • Risk
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <tjarrell@c...> wrote:
            > Recently purchased a Hennessy Expedition ASYM. Interested to learn
            tricks in using the hammock and techniques for cold weather camping.
            I am a Boy Scout leader and will take it into the field for the first
            time in mid-March.

            > Tom

            Hi Tom,

            I read some of the other comments. They are all worth pursuing. In
            the Hammock Newsletters written by Ed Speer, there is a section at the
            end of the newsletter every month on staying warm in a hammock.

            I'd like to say I have written a summary introduction on staying warm,
            but I have not. The best summary I know of is in Ed's fine book,
            which I am sure he would be willing to sell you. (It really is worth
            the money in my opinion!)

            But here is a little summary of staying warm in a hammock - very basic
            - just enough to get you started.

            I find that I need to do something to stay warm in a hammock in just
            about every weather. Even with air in the 80s at night I need some
            protection. This usually starts under me instead of over me.

            It might seem strange, but in a hammock, the main places I loose heat
            are beneath me instead of over me. This is true from 80 F all the way
            to -10 F. So the first thing I do is to find a way to get insulation
            under me.

            Almost any sort of sleeping bag will fail at temperatures below 55 or
            so because the sleeping bag compresses enough that there is not much
            insulation distance from my skin to the outside. Therefore, the first
            protection I usually go for is a closed cell pad under me. It works
            great. It will work in your HH (Hennesy Hammock) very well.

            Then, to make the hammock easier to use, most of us will use either a
            quilt with a foot box or a sleeping bag unzipped most of the way and
            used as a quilt over us.

            Going beyond this can get quite complex and fascinating. I have found
            success with all the following:

            - building a pocket to hold the pad (double bottom hammock)
            - using insulation hung under the hammock, but against it
            (underquilt and WarmHammock)
            - surrounding the hammock with an envelope to hold in warmth
            (PeaPod, Garlington Insulator, Taco Insulator, TravelPod)
            - combining all the above is ways meant to keep us warm while keepingg
            our backpacking load light.

            I have written up several of my experiment and a lot about many of
            these ways to keep warm on my home page.

            See:

            http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

            and:

            http://www.imrisk.com

            Another resource for this whole topic of stayingg warm is in the
            HammockWiki, a group written encyclopedia of hammmock camping. The
            article on keepingg warm is here:

            http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm

            Welcome aboard. Hope to meet you one day down the trail.