[Hammock Camping] Re: Personal cold record!

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004

      Why not just use 2 full pads. Dont weigh that much and you dont
      have to worry about any cold spots. Yes it is a little bulky but I
      tie mine vertacally outside my pack and they only take up the width
      of the pack. You may be using yours for pack support inside the
      pack and the full length may take up too much room? Untill I get a
      peapod or a DAM (or something similar) I just resign myelf to this
      bulky solution.

      Coy Boy

      > Ray Garlington wrote:
      >
      > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
      > >

      > >>Another saga of the cold:
      > >>

      > >Rick laughs at the cold!!!
      > >
      > >was minus 10F the coldest temp for that night? Sounds like your
      gear
      > >performed beautifully. one question: your overlap pad is
      the "T"
      > >shaped pad right? You said it overlapped the length of the
      hammock
      > >by about a foot. could you explain this part a little more.
      > >Thanks & congratulations,
      > >Ray
      > >

      > Hi Ray,
      >
      > I took a standard Target Pad, 27x72 in and cut it into two pieces
      that
      > are 27x36 in.
      >
      > For a standard hammock with no attached insulation, I usually
      overlap
      > those two pieces side by side, overlapped about 12 inches so it is
      a pad
      > which is 40 in wide, 36 in long, and double thick in the middle.
      This
      > works very well in double bottomed hammocks.
      >
      > For the really cold weather, I used the WarmHammock and I put the
      two
      > pads in so they overlapped about a foot right under my bottom. It
      ended
      > up being a pad about 5 feet long and thicker for the center foot.
      >
      > As for temperature, it was -9 for about 4 hours of the night, but
      the
      > weather service recorded a -10 at O-dark-thirty which was a record
      low
      > for Dayton for the date.
      >
      > Rick
    • subypower
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
        hay rick i am glad you are keep some safty equipment with you ie your
        knife

        i bet the first time you had the thought of the zipper freezing and
        then remembered the knife you slept a little better but might i
        suggest your cell phone if you have service in the yard, just in case
        the cramps turn in to a fall on your face pain. and if no service how
        about one of the small air horns

        white knight
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004