Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Personal cold record!

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Ray Garlington wrote:
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:

      Another saga of the cold:

      Rick laughs at the cold!!!

      was minus 10F the coldest temp for that night?  Sounds like your gear
      performed beautifully.  one question:  your overlap pad is the "T"
      shaped pad right?  You said it overlapped the length of the hammock
      by about a foot.  could you explain this part a little more.
      Thanks & congratulations,
      Ray

      Hi Ray,

      I took a standard Target Pad, 27x72 in and cut it into two pieces that are 27x36 in.

      For a standard hammock with no attached insulation, I usually overlap those two pieces side by side, overlapped about 12 inches so it is a pad which is 40 in wide, 36 in long, and double thick in the middle.  This works very well in double bottomed hammocks.

      For the really cold weather, I used the WarmHammock and I put the two pads in so they overlapped about a foot right under my bottom.  It ended up being a pad about 5 feet long and thicker for the center foot.

      As for temperature, it was -9 for about 4 hours of the night, but the weather service recorded a -10 at O-dark-thirty which was a record low for Dayton for the date.

      Rick
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004

        Why not just use 2 full pads. Dont weigh that much and you dont
        have to worry about any cold spots. Yes it is a little bulky but I
        tie mine vertacally outside my pack and they only take up the width
        of the pack. You may be using yours for pack support inside the
        pack and the full length may take up too much room? Untill I get a
        peapod or a DAM (or something similar) I just resign myelf to this
        bulky solution.

        Coy Boy

        > Ray Garlington wrote:
        >
        > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
        > >

        > >>Another saga of the cold:
        > >>

        > >Rick laughs at the cold!!!
        > >
        > >was minus 10F the coldest temp for that night? Sounds like your
        gear
        > >performed beautifully. one question: your overlap pad is
        the "T"
        > >shaped pad right? You said it overlapped the length of the
        hammock
        > >by about a foot. could you explain this part a little more.
        > >Thanks & congratulations,
        > >Ray
        > >

        > Hi Ray,
        >
        > I took a standard Target Pad, 27x72 in and cut it into two pieces
        that
        > are 27x36 in.
        >
        > For a standard hammock with no attached insulation, I usually
        overlap
        > those two pieces side by side, overlapped about 12 inches so it is
        a pad
        > which is 40 in wide, 36 in long, and double thick in the middle.
        This
        > works very well in double bottomed hammocks.
        >
        > For the really cold weather, I used the WarmHammock and I put the
        two
        > pads in so they overlapped about a foot right under my bottom. It
        ended
        > up being a pad about 5 feet long and thicker for the center foot.
        >
        > As for temperature, it was -9 for about 4 hours of the night, but
        the
        > weather service recorded a -10 at O-dark-thirty which was a record
        low
        > for Dayton for the date.
        >
        > Rick
      • subypower
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
          hay rick i am glad you are keep some safty equipment with you ie your
          knife

          i bet the first time you had the thought of the zipper freezing and
          then remembered the knife you slept a little better but might i
          suggest your cell phone if you have service in the yard, just in case
          the cramps turn in to a fall on your face pain. and if no service how
          about one of the small air horns

          white knight
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004