[Hammock Camping] Re: ReplacingHHTarp

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 29, 2004
      I'd think a 10x12 would be too large and unwieldy, and the 12 foot
      length would only work if your trees were rather farther apart than
      necessary. How about 10x10 if you want to go larger? BTW, an 8x10
      tarp worked perfectly to close off the open side of a shelter on the
      Long Trail on a cold, windy, snowy night. The 8 foot width covered it
      top-to-bottom and the 10 foot length left about 1-2 feet open on one
      end. Sure made the shelter warmer.

      DebW

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
      > 8 by 10? They're saying 10 by 12. You think that 12 feet lengthwise
      is too
      > long for the HH? I was going to order a 10 by 12 from either Campmor or
      > Brawny, hang it on the long rectangle, leaving me the option of 5
      feet of
      > luxurious tarp room on either side. But now, these detail guys <G> have
      > taken this into discussing building things, and centenary shapes,
      etc, none
      > of which interests me in the least because I am swamped setting up
      my new
      > business, and I am still unpacking governor's office stuff. I just
      want to
      > know which dang tarp to order. I think my HH is a tad longer than
      yours. You
      > have the Ultralight backpacker, I think.
      > Marsanne
      >

      > Marsanne, when I did a week up at Sipsey, I used an 8 X 10 tarp just
      as you
      > described. I went through several stormy nights and a few windy
      days. It's
      > great to have a place to get in out of the rain without having to
      lay down.
      > It also gave me a place to put all my gear. I brought a small piece
      of tyvek
      > to lay everything on.
      > Kim
    • chcoa
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 5, 2004
        Oh, gotcha. That makes way more sense, thanks for clearing that up.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian MacMillin" <oes@h...>