TravelPod question

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
      Rick,

      On those 20F nights spent inside the TravelPod, how much condensation
      are you experiencing?

      With my sil-nylon hammockpants, I can feel moisture by one hour; by 2
      hours, tiny beads of moisture are forming on the surface. This is
      with the head exposed, and therefore all moisture from breathing
      vented to the outside.
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
        Quoting Ray Garlington <rgarling@...>:

        > Rick,
        >
        > On those 20F nights spent inside the TravelPod, how much condensation
        > are you experiencing?
        >
        > With my sil-nylon hammockpants, I can feel moisture by one hour; by 2
        > hours, tiny beads of moisture are forming on the surface. This is
        > with the head exposed, and therefore all moisture from breathing
        > vented to the outside.

        Hi Ray,

        Well, the DWR ripstop is not waterproof. I end up with essentially no
        condensation in the TravelPod except right over my face. That is only present
        when the temperature is below 20. Any higher temperature, and the moisture
        seems to soak into the ripstop and dry from the outside. (Below 20 it freezes
        instead of wetting the fabric.)

        I do use a Psolar balaclava when the temperature is below freezing, which seems
        to decrease the amount of moist air from my mouth and nose.

        Are you using silnylon for the hammock pants? If so, a trial with a breathable
        fabric may be worth while.

        Rick
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
          Thanks for the info.

          Yes, I used silnylon because it was on hand when I got the idea.
          Where did you obtain the breathable ripstop?

        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
            Quoting Ray Garlington <rgarling@...>:

            > Thanks for the info.
            >
            > Yes, I used silnylon because it was on hand when I got the idea.
            > Where did you obtain the breathable ripstop?

            http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoated_fabrics.htm

            Fabric #1015