Question

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      Before I go and order a Evazote, one inch pad from MEC in Canada, has anyone
      had any experience using this pad or know anything about the density or
      cold rating? Here is the site url, go to Main shopping, then sleeping bags,
      then pads on the left side of page.

      Cheers, Marge
      http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp;jsessionid=2dTX7HkwSoem
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Message
        Before I go and order a Evazote, one inch pad from MEC in Canada, has anyone
        had any experience  using this pad or know anything about the density or
        cold rating? Here is the site url, go to Main shopping, then sleeping bags,
        then pads on the left side of page.

        Cheers,  Marge
        http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp;jsessionid=2dTX7HkwSoem

        Marge, I checked them out. They look good, although I've never used one. The large winter pad is 23.6" (60mm) wide, so it's on the narrow side. It's also 15mm thick which is only 3/4", I think.  But that may be good, since foam pads as thick as 1" buckle in a hammock and create uncomfortable folds.  Better to use two thinner foam pads.  Since you're in very cold temps up there, the Evazote Winter pad (15mmX60cmX185 cm) along with a 26-30" wide 1/4" thick pad should do nicely.  Some sources of 1/4" pads are given in the Jan issue of Hammock Camping News.
        Ed
      • Marge Prothman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          Message
          Ed, thanks for your reply.  I am still thinking about the Evazote pad.  I have the 1/4 " padding I ;purchased from Wilderness Fabric and that is what is giving me fits inside the hammock. It will not stay in place and buckles even after I reshape and cut it at different angles in hope that it will lay flat.  It envelopes me like a cocoon, and I like to lay flat on my hammock on my side.
          thanks,  Marge
            That's interesting Marge. I was wondering if others also had problems
            with wide pads in the hammock. How wide is your 1/4" pad? I find 30"
            about the max I can take; although wider is even warmer.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
            wrote:
            > Ed, thanks for your reply. I am still thinking about the Evazote
            pad. I
            > have the 1/4 " padding I ;purchased from Wilderness Fabric and that
            is what
            > is giving me fits inside the hammock. It will not stay in place and
            buckles
            > even after I reshape and cut it at different angles in hope that it
            will lay
            > flat. It envelopes me like a cocoon, and I like to lay flat on my
            hammock
            > on my side.
            > thanks, Marge
          • Marge Prothman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              Ed,
              The pad I purchased from Wilderness Fabrics was Foam Y20 1/4" 2lb Den 40 x
              80.
              I trimmed it down to 35" x 65" left a piece sticking up for the head 8' x
              16" and
              Made a slit up the middle at the bottom about 16". I put this in first, then
              my Windshield
              Reflector and my Mtn Wash. Pad (closed foam).

              The 1/4" pad for me cocooned me too much and would not lay flat, it got
              folds in it.
              Marge

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                Ed and Marge:

                That's an advantage a the Tropical (or other top entry)
                hammock with two layers. I've used a trimmed Oware pad
                that's about 48 inches wide. Goes from edge to edge of my
                hammock, but stays flat and stable. I just can't roll it up
                neatly.

                Bear

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                  I've also had the buckle problems Marge referred to. I often solve
                  the problem by putting one or more of my pads inside the Pea Pod
                  shell so they lie outside the hammock. I favor the comfort of the
                  hammock without a pad inside anyway; but it is warmer if the pad is
                  inside. So I let the temperature tell me where to put the pad/s. Of
                  course folks without the Pea Pod or Bear's 'double bottom' hammock
                  can't do this. And such a wide pad is difficult to fold/roll and
                  stuff into a pack. So I use wide liner pads for car camping and
                  multiple narrow pads for hiking.
                  Ed

                • PUDSCRAWLER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
                    Ed, I have a question for you.

                    When I purchased my hammock (Gathering '04), you mentioned that you had one
                    hanging in your bedroom or the like.

                    I would like to set mine up that way too, but I need to know how.

                    None of my walls (plaster in 125-year-old farm house) are the correct
                    distance from one another. In other words, the hammock would have to hang "catty
                    corner" from two adjoining walls. I weigh 180. How could I do this in such a
                    way that the hammock would not fail?

                    Thanks,

                    Sawnie Robertson