Re: TripReport AT, last week

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2004
      I think most of your problem with the cold was the air mattress. An air
      mattress offers zero insulation value. If you would have had a foam pad or a
      Therm-A-Rest, I don't think your discomfort would have been so great. I
      have an air mattress and I love it for summer (aka warmer weather camping),
      but give me some real insulation under me in the winter! I took my air
      mattress to Canyonlands last fall and was cold the whole time (with a 20
      degree bag.) Your sleeping bag is probably okay (may have lost some loft),
      but the real culprit was the pad.
      White Knight is making underquilts for the HH - he makes, you pay and then
      you have to buy the down to stuff it, I'm eagerly waiting on mine!
      Glad your trip turned out okay and you survived - how bad was the fat lip?
      Nancy

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:22:12 -0000
      > From: "canoetrip_2000" <firefly@...>
      > Subject: TripReport: AT, last week(LONG)
      >
      > But, after being at the Ruck in South CArolina over the weekend, I
      > became convinced it would be foolhardy to go out with it without the
      > proper insulation, which I do not now have. So, I begged one of the
      > Women Hikers to sell me her nice air mattress, and I let
      > them "Tuckerize" me (go through my pack and make me mad...) and got
      > a ride to Springer, but about 4 hours later than I had planned.
      > Packing, especially when scared to death, takes a L O N G time.
      >
      > It was supposed to get into the 20's. I have a TNF Zero Degree rated
      > down bag. It got down to about 10, and I was miserable that first
      > night. The bag has, clearly, lost lots of its loft, something the 40-
      > degree winter nights in Louisiana would not tell me...
      >
      > Marsanne
    • canoetrip_2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2004
        Nancy,
        I cannot sleep on a Thermarest. I have owned 3, sold one, still have
        two, both are for sale. I must have thick padding, or a hammock. I
        have tried everythign to make them work, including carrying an extra
        closed cell foam pad for underneath, digging a hip trench, etc. If
        the option is a Thermarest or not going, I am not going. The bag was
        cold on top, too. I love the closed cell foam pad with windshield
        reflector stuffed in a Neat Sheet enclosure. I used that underneath
        the air mattress. I was not cold every night, just 2 out of four.
        May have been the wind, too, because I was much better off in the
        shelters than in that DURN DURN Silshelter on the ground.
        Lip is almost healed, thanks for asking. No major damage done, or
        bad scars. I was lucky!
        Marsanne

      • translatus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2004
          Marsanne,

          I highly recommend that you consider the Exped down air mattress. It combines the
          comfort of air mattresses with the warmth of an excellent sleeping pad. Sure, it costs,
          but the comfort is worth it!

          Just my 2-cents' worth.

          / Eric (Stockholm, Sweden)