RE: Hammock Camping Re: Does anyone have a decent pic of snakeskins in use w/ HH??

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
      http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

      > SGT Rock

      Great page Sarge. I just took a bunch of pictures this last weekend showing
      my preferred use of them. They really are great!

      BTW, in item #4, you have "Pull the sleeves back to revel the hammock, if
      you packed it right, only the fly will be exposed - keeping the hammock part
      dry." While I revel in my hammock, I think in this context you mean
      'reveal'.

      Shane
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
        Hey Thanks Sgt.Rock
        I liked your pictures, they were great, I also learned something. I often
        wondered which end my feet are going to be when I put up the hammock, it
        never occurred to me just to mark it on my snakeskins or someplace.

        For me the Snakeskins are really easy to put on, and I just never take them
        off, I think the people who have found them to be a pain, were people who
        did not get the correct size to start with, then yes, if they are not big
        enough to slide over the hammock, they could be a pain.

        Cheers,

        Marge [The Old Gal]
        http://www.prothman.org/marge
      • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
          Ernest,

          Good afternoon.

          I followed the link to find out what the snake skins were all about.
          I had previously been to several parts of your pages, but not all the
          way into the hammock pages. Great work. I appreciate the time you
          spent to take pictures and share your experience.

          I also took the rabbit trail to see what you said about setting up in
          the rain without snake skins.

          As I saw you sitting there and imagined you on a bit of a wet day, I
          went out and cut a little scrap of rescued Tyveck about 12 x 20
          inches and crumpled it 5 or six times. Purpose: to sit on in the
          snow or on wet ground or on a tree trunk. I had learned this little
          trick years ago from the AF survival techs, but had nearly forgotten
          it. When I brought the little rectangle into work today to weigh it,
          it came to 20 grams. I stuffed it into an outside mesh pocket on my
          rucksack. I think it will come in hand for all the above, and also
          for putting on the ground so I can stand up and retrieve my shoes
          without getting socks wet in the morning...

          Rick
        • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Engman
            <ebengman@h...>" <ebengman@h...> wrote:
            > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks
            > use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
            > Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html
            >
            > SGT Rock

            thanks Sarge, that answered a lot of questions.
          • Ernest Engman
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
              Thanks. I try.

              Ernest Engman

[...]